Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Inquire about brocade 5000 FOS upgrade path

Hi ,

There are several brocade switch 5000 at customer site,running FOS 5.2.1b for a long time,recently,the FOS need upgrade to 6.3.0b.

According to the release notes,
New FOS upgrade policy only supporst one-level migration/jump which began with FOS 6.0.0,so here's the supposed upgrade path:

5.2.1b --> 5.3.0 --> 6.00c --> 6.1.0 --> 6.2.1 --> 6.3.0b

is it ok ? if ok,we need go through 4 interim FOS so cause the upgrade become complex,is there any special notes or something that I must pay more attention during FOS exchange ?

Thanks very much.

Best Regards,
Simon

Super Contributor

Re: Inquire about brocade 5000 FOS upgrade path

Hi Simon,

The upgrade path looks good. Choose the interim patch levels as well. The ones listed below are just a suggestion, choose the levels that fit your needs.

5.2.1b --> 5.3.1a --> 6.00c --> 6.1.0h --> 6.2.2b --> 6.3.0c

Important: You will need to setup and prepare DCFM prior to this, since most functions available in web tools have been moved to DCFM.

Upgrades across so many levels is gonna be hardwork. You also need to ensure that all connected hosts are dual path and that the paths are working. If there are single connected hosts, its advisable to shut them down. Need not tell this, but upgrade one fab at a time.

Post upgradation of one of the switches, please test host connectivity, and also try creating a dummy zone.

After each stage, pay full attention to errshow -r and errdump -r to see if there are any strange errors.

Regards,

Biju Krishnan

TechHelp24

Email: bkrishnan@techhelp24.com

Site: www.techhelp24.com

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Many thanks for your prompt and useful reply.

You suggested upgrade path is a little different with mine,could you please state what's your reference and consideration for such decision? since the interim FOS will be replaced finally.

Customer seldom uses the webtool to manage their switches,and in fact,customer hasn't order the DCFM license.

Thanks for your helps.

Best Regards,

Simon

Super Contributor

HI,

Up to 6.0, we can go 2 steps ahead. I recently did the FOS upgarde of 24 SWs and Dirs. I went from 5.2.0a---> 6.0.0---->6.1.0---->6.2.0g.

After 6.0 you can go 1 step ahead.Also best practice is to check the multipathing, do 1 fabric at a time.each time you 1 step of FOS, take a configupload and supportsave. check the errdump..Do the FOS upgrade on core SW and then Edge SWs, but if you do the edge SWs, no issues but check the FOS compatibility. Always check network connectivity and FTP server availability..

Super Contributor

Hi Simon,

I did say

>>The ones listed below are just a suggestion, choose the levels that fit your needs.

Why interim levels are important?? Reason, incase you manage to upgrade to only a particular level and decide to abort the plan, then you have to live with the FOS level for some time. I used to work for a company with lot of emphasis on change control. I was allotted 4 hours to upgrade some 20 switches, and while I was upgrading the 2nd, one of the port blades failed causing some havoc. So I managed to squeeze in not all but some upgrades. It was better to keep all switches on the same level, rather than complete upgrade of some.

Some FOS levels are not good at all. For example we had the 6.1.0c causing a lot of undesirable effects. So its good to be sure of the interims just incase you have to stay on it for sometime. Ask your OEM for recommendations.

Again just an opinion....! If you do not have much time before the upgrade, just go for it.

Regards,

Biju Krishnan

TechHelp24

Email: bkrishnan@techhelp24.com

Site:www.techhelp24.com

Super Contributor

Hi Biju,

I have faced a lots of issue on 6.1.1f on 5100 and 48K. After confirmation from EMC and Brocade I never recommend anybody to go to 6.1.xx

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Biju and Hemant.A few days ago I had upgrade the B5K FOS with my planned upgrade path without any issue hit.

Regards,

Simon

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.