Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Infortrend Storage and DCX-4S

We've just recently expanded our FC infrastructure from 4 Brocade 4900s to 2 DCX-4S switches (Core) and 6 4900s (Edge).

All the storage (which consists of a mixture of EMC Clariion, IBM DS4700 and Infortrend EONStor) has been migrated to the Core switches. All the EMC and IBM ports logged in to the DCX without any problem, but the Infortrends are not working.

The link lights come on, but the ports on the DCX are all as below:

coredcx4s1:admin> portshow 7/11
portIndex: 139
portName:
portHealth: HEALTHY

Authentication: None
portDisableReason: None
portCFlags: 0x1
portFlags: 0x4003        PRESENT ACTIVE G_PORT LED
LocalSwcFlags: 0x0
portType:  17.0
portState: 1    Online
Protocol: FC
portPhys:  6    In_Sync         portScn:   1    Online
port generation number:    114
state transition count:    32

portId:    058b00
portIfId:    43720012
portWwn:   20:8b:00:05:33:1c:e7:00
portWwn of device(s) connected:

Distance:  normal
portSpeed: N4Gbps

LE domain: 0
FC Fastwrite: OFF
Interrupts:        0          Link_failure: 7          Frjt:         0
Unknown:           4          Loss_of_sync: 20         Fbsy:         0
Lli:               173        Loss_of_sig:  34
Proc_rqrd:         4          Protocol_err: 0
Timed_out:         0          Invalid_word: 113
Rx_flushed:        0          Invalid_crc:  0
Tx_unavail:        0          Delim_err:    0
Free_buffer:       0          Address_err:  0
Overrun:           0          Lr_in:        12
Suspended:         0          Lr_out:       25
Parity_err:        0          Ols_in:       9
2_parity_err:      0          Ols_out:      12
CMI_bus_err:       0

Port part of other ADs: No

Does anyone have any experience of this issue? The Infortrends were connected to the Brocade 4900s before without any problem at all.

I've tried setting the port speed to Auto, 4GB and 8GB at both ends, and also tried setting the Infortrend ports to Loop only and Point to Point only, but nothing has made any difference so far.

Thanks,

Andy

Valued Contributor

Re: Infortrend Storage and DCX-4S

That particulary port locked in such a manner (E- Mirror port etc) it cannot become an F port?

New Contributor

dion.v.d.c wrote:

That particulary port locked in such a manner (E- Mirror port etc) it cannot become an F port?

No, it's definitely enabled and able to become an F-port. It's not just that port either, but all of the ports that the Infortrend is connected to.

Valued Contributor

If its all the port I suspect an default portsetting thats different from the 4900 (FOS lvl).

One possibility could be the fill word portcfgshow (number)  or try help portcfgfillword.

If you have an support contract with Infotrend you could open a service request.

And I guess you have an ES F16F-R4840/ES F16F-S4840 ? Not that it really matters as i'm unable to find any manuals.

New Contributor

dion.v.d.c wrote:

If its all the port I suspect an default portsetting thats different from the 4900 (FOS lvl).

One possibility could be the fill word portcfgshow (number)  or try help portcfgfillword.

If you have an support contract with Infotrend you could open a service request.

And I guess you have an ES F16F-R4840/ES F16F-S4840 ? Not that it really matters as i'm unable to find any manuals.

Thanks Dion, but it turned out to be a problem with the Infortrend storage controller. The fibre ports had switched to "Loop only" (the default) from "Point to Point only". I had noticed this and switched them back, but when I bounced the controller it came back in Loop only again.

There were other problems too - the web interface wouldn't load, and it wouldn't connect to the SANWatch Storage Manager either. The following day I was able to reset it and it's working fine now.

Frequent Contributor

Dear Andrew,

Glad to hear that everything is working now!

Since everything is now working, I am going to close this discussion thread.

Thanks Andrew!

Cheers,

Grace Chang

Community Moderator

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.