Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

In the GUI the switch status is DOWN

Hi Guru,

doubt

DCX shows it is status is DOWN in GUI  and  STATUS tab is amber colour, but not facing any issue in FC services.

not able to clear the status and make it ready and healthy, support team says that error throshold which needs to be cleared by rebooting the switch which is not acceptable by customer.

is there any way to clear the error without rebooting the DCX ?

• I can only recommend a possible reboot of the swich to clear this error threshold

Query : is there no other way, just to clear error threshold we planning to reboot FC services ?

Actually where error log stores,  is it not on CP card memory?  if it is on CP card, better plan for CP reset

Error log clear is SPOF on DCX, not an online task ?

If it SPOF what is the precautionary steps we should follow in case if it re-occurs, rather go for another reboot.  

If switch reboot not resolves what is the next action plan?

• We had a CE onsite and visually confirmed that the events being reported are false and production nor the SAN is being effected by the switch

Query : if it is false alarm, why it is so , any bug identified ?

• From all views here it's has been over a week since issue reported and continued analysis and running of the switch indicates it's a false report.

Query :  how can we address false report , any workaround identified in advisory ?

What will be the consequence if we keep this alarm for one more week ? we are planning for San switch firmware upgrade tentatively next week, I think we can include switch reboot activity during firmware upgrade.

• Is there any log or error indicates that switch is down state because of error threshold ?

any one have answer for above queries

Super Contributor

Re: In the GUI the switch status is DOWN

What about the status in the switchshow command?? If the CLI is reporting the correct status then its for sure a bug in the Webtools function. I kind of recall seeing a bug report but not able to find it in the release notes.

If there are repeated errors on a port or part, then the switch may report itself as down. Check if there are repeated errors by issuing

errdump -r

errshow -r

fabriclog -s

Which FOS version have you installed??

New Contributor

I have attached mentioned command o/p

atliswcb001:admin> switchshow|more
switchType:     62.3
switchState:    Online
switchMode:     Native
switchRole:     Subordinate
switchDomain:   105
switchId:       fffc69
switchWwn:      10:00:00:05:1e:4c:1a:00
zoning:         ON (ec_atl_odd)
switchBeacon:   OFF
FC Router:      OFF
FC Router BB Fabric ID: 1
Address Mode:   0

and FOS is

Slot Name       Appl     Primary/Secondary Versions               Status
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  6  CP0        FOS      v6.4.0a                                  STANDBY
                         v6.4.0a
  7  CP1        FOS      v6.4.0a                                  ACTIVE *
                         v6.4.0a
switchType:     62.3

Super Contributor

Hi,

did you have checked with switchstatuspolicyshow how the global policy is set?

The policy controls when the switch changes the global status from healthy to marginal to down.

You can tune it with switchstatuspolicyset.

I haven't checked your files you have provided. I thinks it is simpler for you to run the command ;-)

I hope this helps.

Andreas

Super Contributor

Andreas is right.

I checked your messages and there was definitely some environmental problem in your data center on 22nd Sept

2010/09/22-11:12:27, , 579361, SLOT 7 | FID 128, WARNING, atliswcb001, Switch status change contributing factor Temperature sensor: 32 bad.
2010/09/22-11:12:27, , 579360, SLOT 7 | FID 128, WARNING, atliswcb001, Switch status changed from HEALTHY to DOWN.
2010/09/22-11:12:27, , 579359, SLOT 7 | FID 128, WARNING, atliswcb001, Env Temperature 32, is above high boundary(High=1, Low=0). Current value is 34 C.
2010/09/22-11:12:27, , 579358, SLOT 7 | FID 128, WARNING, atliswcb001, Env Temperature 31, is above high boundary(High=1, Low=0). Current value is 29 C.

Going by the way you reported this problem here, looks like you have copied the contents of your incident or problem ticket onto the forum. The error message no longer appears in the logs so I guess it was just a temporary problem.
Fix the port errors on port with AREA ID 150.
2010/09/23-15:13:58, , 579401, SLOT 7 | FID 128, WARNING, atliswcb001, Switch status change contributing factor Marginal ports: 1 marginal ports. (Port(s) 152(0x98))
I dont see any major problems for you to worry big time. Enjoy your weekend or whats left of it

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.