Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Import alias from one switch to another.

We have a remote data center that we are going to migrate most of our equipment to.   We have a pair of DCXs in our current data center, and a pair in our remote data center.  We are looking to create the alias list, but not the zones.  The remote site is going to be separate fabrics.  So ultimately, my question is this...

Is there a way to import aliases exported off of another switch?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Super Contributor

Re: Import alias from one switch to another.

Hi,

you can use the CLI for this task.

1.) run on the CLI alishow and log the session output into a log file.

2.) open it with Excel and extract the names and WWN and use the Excel function to create the final commands alicreate aliname,wwn

3.) run the commands on the remote switches.

finish.

Better way is to create a short shell or Perl script to create the commands from the CLI output.

You can also take the alias information from a switch configuration file. You get this information with the command configupload.

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Do you mean to export the config file, delete everything except the aliases, them import the configuration to the other switch?  Also, we have DCFM 10.4.3.  Is it possible to do in there?  The switch we are trying to import to is over an hour drive away, so I don't want to accidentally change other settings as then I would have to drive there to fix it...  (in which case, typing the aliases might be quicker haha).

Valued Contributor

Do you mean to export the config file, delete everything except the aliases, them import the configuration to the other switch?

Yes thats what he means.

Contributor

Did a configupload, edited out everything except the zone information, and then did a configdownload on my edited file.  Received the error:

"Older config file is used for the download process"

The download didn't download anything.  Anyone know what this error means or if this process should work?

I am running the same FOS v6.4.0a on both 48000's

Super Contributor

It looks for me that the banner of your two files are different.

I got the same error but from different FOS version.

Compare both files if you find major differneces.

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.