Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Implementing 7800 FCIP switch question

We are planning to install 7800 swtiches for FCIP replication. Will the FCIP switches work being connected via fiber directly to the storage fiber connections (its an IBM V7000)?  Or does it HAVE to go through the regular fibre channel switches that the storage and clients are connected to?

Thanks in advance!

External Moderator

Re: Implementing 7800 FCIP switch question

curt,

you can connect the Storage safely direct to any free FC Port in 7800.

It is not mandatory to connect Storage to SAN Switch and then ISL the SAN Switch with 7800.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Excellent! Thank you very much for confirming that!

New Contributor

Ok - so if you are directly connecting the Storage directly to the router switch, then how do you properly configure the FCIP tunnel? How do you configure the VE ports for the direct connection from the storage? Since they are directly connected, they are F-Ports. The portcfg iptunnel command requires to specify a VE port.

External Moderator

Curt,

there is no difference - no matter the FC Port is a Port from 7800 or a Port from another FC Switch ISL to 7800 - how to configure FCIP and/or VE

If you have a difficult to do that, i would suggest you engaged a expert or a Brocade On-Site SE, this can assist you with the Design and configuration.

Antonio

TechHelp24
New Contributor

I know how to configure VE ports with the 7800 connected to another switch with ISL. But in this case the storage is directly connected to the SAN Router. So do I just create the tunnel (portcfg fciptunnel) ?  Or do I still have to configure the direct storage connections as EX ports??

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.