Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

ISL with some bottleneck alerts X Fill Word

Hi Support team

I have one ISL with some bottleneck alerts and I'm suspecting the isue is related to the Fill Word parameter.

The ports are connected in 8GB and the Fill Word parameter has been changed from 0 to 3 but with passive option and now I want to reset the port to effectivate/change the Fill Word to 3.

On the other side of the Fabric the Fill Word of the ISL links are changed to 3 and there is no issue with bottleneck.

The question is about the impact to servers. I want to reduce de impact to the servers with the port reset and I'd like to know if is recomendate to increase the linkcost of the one ISL port to stopp the trafic before reset the ports.

switch01_core> islshow | grep switch03_edge
12: 76-> 36 10:00:00:05:33:be:bd:28 123 switch03_edge sp: 8.000G bw: 8.000G
13: 77-> 37 10:00:00:05:33:be:bd:28 123 switch03_edge sp: 8.000G bw: 8.000G

switch01_core> portcfgshow 76 | grep Fill
Fill Word(On Active) 3(A-A then SW I-A)
Fill Word(Current) 0(Idle-Idle)

switch01_core> portcfgshow 77 | grep Fill
Fill Word(On Active) 3(A-A then SW I-A)
Fill Word(Current) 0(Idle-Idle)

switch01_core:rebeloa> errshow -r
Fabric OS: v7.0.2
2017/03/02-16:06:36, [AN-1010], 99, FID 128, WARNING, switch01_core, Severe latency bottleneck detected at slot 0 port 77.

Brocade Moderator

Re: ISL with some bottleneck alerts X Fill Word

First, fillword setting is only effective on F-ports (excluding the long distance ISL case where it need to coordinated with VC link init).

Second, if you want to take down an ISL,, look at the portdecom command which requires lossless DLS to be enabled - from the below is see that you are 7.0.2, portdecom was introduced in FOS 7.2.0, sorry.

A change of linkcost in itself might cause interruption. Further,  if you have IODset, taking down a ISL implies a topologychange and thus IOD will kick in. And also dependent on your routing policy - EBR vs PBR. 

I would look otherwise for your issue with latency, fill word on E-port, does not come into play.

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.