Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

ISL switches without merging fabrics

I have two data centers both with multiple DCX fabrics.  I want to do FC data replication.  My idea is to setup an FCIP link between the switches in each data center however I don't want the fabrics to merge.  They are both large fabrics and the communication necessary will be limited to about 10-20 targets/initators per data center.  So my idea is to take one of my existing switches and create two virtual switches, one consisting of 20 ports and the rest would be configured like the physical server was configured.  I would do this in both data centers.  Can I setup the FCIP connection to only connect particular virtual switches?  Am I on the right track or is there an easier way to connect my data centers but not merge the fabric?

External Moderator

Re: ISL switches without merging fabrics

Brian,

from your questio, is some not clear to me.

are the DCX in Question FCIP capable ? and/or is the Switch IR= Integrated Routing Licensed ?

if you want to create Virtual Switch in order to merge both fabric, such config not work because Virtual Switch work like Standalone Switch.

the simple way is to do this with IR License, and FCR Enable or with FX8 Extension Blade.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

I agree, FCR seems to be the right way to do it!
Occasional Contributor

I have FX8-24 extension blades in each DCX.  Again my issue is I do not want to merge my entire fabric, just select ports.  My plan would be to create V-switches containing only those ports. Then create an FCIP connection between chassis.  Then I would plug the associated VE-ports into that new virtual switchs.  My hope is that the new virtual switches would merge and everything else would be left untouched.

Valued Contributor

Hi again Brian

Your scenario is also possible. This way you'll have three fabrics: Fab1 in one datacenter, Fab2 in another datacenter, and Fab3 - a fabric that consists of a number of selected ports on both sites with the FCIP link in betweens. But you'll have to be careful when configuring the stuff, there are some conditions where your Fab1 and Fab2 might merge.

In order to avoid long explanations, you'd better read the Fabric OS Administrator's Guide. You'll need chapter "Managing Virtual Fabrics". But I also suggest that you additionally read "Using FC-FC Routing to Connect Fabrics" - these topics are tightly related and I believe that FCR setup will be more beneficial for you in the end.

Good luck

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.