Fibre Channel (SAN)

sjm
Occasional Contributor

ISL question.

Hi All.

I have two IBM rebadged brocade 24/8 switches.

both running v7.3.1b.

I want to join these together so I purchased a license as the IBM's dont come or allow you to just connect the 2 switches together and merge the fabrics etc.

so I completely remove all running configuration of one and made sure its domain Id was set Higher number than the current "Principal"

I also set on the principal switch the "set as preffered principal switch" and set value to one

On the blan other switch I made domain ID 10 and switch priority as 30.

Plugged in a cable and an E port formed fine no issue or errors..But the principal switch did not copy its zone config or anything down to the completely blank switch.

In trying to figure this out I looked at the license they have sent me and it says "Extended fabric feature" which when reading is if you want to extend your fabric's very long distance ....which I dont as both swicthes in same rack.

The only thing not happening is the copy of the zone and configuration info.

What am I missing or have the just sent me the wrong switch license ?

External Moderator

Re: ISL question.

@sjm

-->>....they have sent me and it says "Extended fabric feature" which when reading is if you want to extend your fabric's very long distance ....which I dont as both swicthes in same rack.....

what is the distance beetwen both switches ? if distance is more as 150 meter by 8 Gbps / OM3 Cable; 190 Meter by OM4 Cable you have to use LW SFP+ and not SW

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I think what you need is a "Full Fabric" license for all of your switches.

The full fabric license enables the switches to cascade and therefore to distribute the zone config. The "Extended Fabric" license you need only on distances larger than 10 km between your switches.

For cost reasons in ROBO-environments there used to be a Base-version of the Brocade 8/24 without the full fabric license. As long as you have only one switch per fabric this is ok. But if you want to connect another switch, you need the license on both sides of your ISL. I don't know the IBM OEM version, so check the license information on all your switches.

With best regards

Holger Fitz

sjm
Occasional Contributor

In the message it says "SAME rack" for both switches.

sjm
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Holger,

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I have asked the supplier and they are engaging with IBM (so this will take a while no doubt).

I am sure this wont end well for me as IBM has become very difficult to deal with in the last few years.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.