Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

ISL on different brands of switch

Hi Guys,

Im new to ISL, can you give some thoughts on is it possible to do an ISL between different switch brands? Like a brocade switches and Qlogic switches?

External Moderator

Re: ISL on different brands of switch

kaelo,

ISL beetwen Brocade and Qlogic is a long story.

some QLOGIC FW high than Version 6.x work only as InteropMode 0, see below or the Qlogic FW Readme.

Make sure that the Domain-ID by the Qlogic is correct set, Higher than 97, the Brocade must have Domain-ID beetwen 1 t0 31

example if the Brocade have:

Domain-ID 1 the Qlogic must be set to Domain-ID 97

by

Domain-ID 2 the Qlogic must be set to Domain-ID 98....and so on.

3. Interoperability

The QLogic Switch Interoperability Guide (www.qlogic.com/interopguide) provides all other

information regarding QLogic interoperability with Brocade, McDATA, and Cisco including:

l Configuration information

l Feature limitations in mixed configuration

l Known issues

The following interoperability modes were tested for the stated Brocade, McDATA, and Cisco switch

models and firmware versions:

l InteropMode set to Standard (FC-SW-2) supports Brocade, McDATA, and Cisco switches in

their "interop" or "Open" modes:

m Brocade Silkworm 3200/3800; Firmware tested: v3.2.0

m Brocade Silkworm 3900; Firmware tested: v5.1.0b, v5.1.0d

m Brocade Silkworm 3250, 200E, 4100; Firmware tested: v5.0.4e, v5.1.0d, v5.1.0

m Brocade M4400, M4700, M6140; Firmware tested: 9.00.00 build 76, 9.01.00.50

m Cisco MDS 9509, 9216, 9216i; Firmware tested: 2.1.2b, 2.1.2d, 3.0.2a

If the Qlog was set to InteropMode 1 by FW lower than 5.x and you have upgrade to 6.x, you must first Downgrade again to v5, change the Mode to 0 and then Upgrade to v6 or v7.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I read lot of docs and still I'm not sure if a SAN32B-3 (2005-32B) is compatible with SANBOX5200?

If this is compatible, how do I know if the qlogic and the brocade is capable for ISL? How do I know if it has license for ISL?

Can you give some steps on how ISL works/configured?

External Moderator

--->>> I read lot of docs and still I'm not sure if a SAN32B-3 (2005-32B) is compatible with SANBOX5200?

The compatinility Probleme are not the different Switches Type, you must make sure that both Firmware and FabOS by QLogic and Brocade are compatible and Supported.

I have here the same SANBox 5200 with v7.4.0.06 and diverse Brocade with v5.3.1b and 6.1.1, the ISL work fine.

Make sure all Fabric Parameter are be setting correct.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

Thanks for that, can you give me the link for any documentation on doing the ISL please.

External Moderator

See the Readme by QLOGIC for details about the Interop-Mode

The SANBox must be set to InteropMode of 0 ( Standard )

What kind of DOC do you need ? ISL is very simple if all fabric Parameter are correct setting, and make sure you have the correct FW / FabOS rel.

Or post here all EXACT Info your Switches, I help you with configuration.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

Thanks a lot...

below is the current scenario I have.

- A brocade 5000 running on 4gb attached to a 4gb storage and attached to a 4gb fiber adapter hosts

- a sanbox5200 running on 2gb attached to a 2gb storage and attached to 2gb fiber adapter hosts

First, I need to know on the licensing side, do we need to buy ISL license for each switch? If not how do we know if we can have ISL both.

What will be the impact on the bandwidth/speed since we are connecting switches which is a different bandwidths? Will I be getting 2gb since qlogic is only running at 2gb? if this is correct I will have a performance issue in this.

On setting this up, can you give me a detailed steps on doing ISL on both switches, including cabling(i.e. if we need to connect 1 port on qlogic going to brocade)

Sorry for being to much demanding but I really appreciate your help.

God Bless.

External Moderator

kaelo,

--->>> Sorry for being to much demanding but I really appreciate your help.

No Problem.

I am in the middle into a difficult large san migration, i come back to you question in a couple of Hours.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

Kaelo,

before whe create a confusion same another User here in the Forum.....

You want to create ISL, is correct ? Can you confirm please that?

ISL = Inter-Switch Link, consist a connection between two switches using the E_Port.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hi techhelp24,

Yes, I want to do ISL. ISL is interconnecting switches right? So my scenario is interlinking the switch models I have.

How do I know if my switches got an E_port?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.