Fibre Channel (SAN)

flb

ISL on DWDM

Hello, I'm using a 8G DWDM link to connect 2 datacenters at ~50km distance.

The DWDM device is an Alcatel-Lucent model 1830. My questions are :

1. Does anybody have more documentation about using Alcatel-Lucent 1830 and Brocade DCX ? I wonder what tests have been made in regards of:

vc_translation_link_init, ISL R_RDY, fill word, QOS and Credit Recovery. And if there are any best practise for these values while utilising this device.

The only documentation I have about Alcatel-Lucent 1830 is the one in attachement.

2. Currently I have the below configuration, but I'm not happy with  ISL R_RDY since this doesnt allow me to use more advanced features.

However, if turning  ISL R_RDY off, link doesnt come as online. I have tried switching to Fill Word 0 and VC link init to 0 with both ISL R_RDY on or off, but I have following errors. Can somebody tell me how the  portcfgfillword & portcfglongdistance sequence can be done succesfully ? Firmware is v7.0.2c

switch:FID128:admin> portcfgshow 1/0

Area Number:              0

Speed Level:              8G

Fill Word(On Active)      3(A-A then SW I-A)

Fill Word(Current)        3(A-A then SW I-A)

AL_PA Offset 13:          OFF

Trunk Port                ON

Long Distance             LS

VC Link Init              ON

Desired Distance          176 Km

Reserved Buffers          710

Locked L_Port             OFF

Locked G_Port             ON

Disabled E_Port           OFF

Locked E_Port             ON

ISL R_RDY Mode            ON

RSCN Suppressed           OFF

Persistent Disable        OFF

LOS TOV enable            OFF

NPIV capability           ON

QOS E_Port                OFF

Port Auto Disable:        OFF

Rate Limit                OFF

EX Port                   OFF

Mirror Port               OFF

Credit Recovery           OFF

F_Port Buffers            OFF

Fault Delay:              0(R_A_TOV)

NPIV PP Limit:            255

CSCTL mode:               OFF

switch:FID128:admin> portcfgfillword 1/0 0

portcfglongdistance vc_translation_link_init conflicts with portcfgfillword configuration. Valid configurations are: vc_translation_link_init = 0, fillword = IDLE_IDLE or vc_translation_link_init = 1 fillword=ARB_ARB, IDLE_ARB, AA_THEN_IA

switch:FID128:admin> portcfglongdistance 1/0 LS 0 176

Warning: setting VC translation link init to 0 for extended fabric is not recommended. Consider changing it to 1.

portcfglongdistance vc_translation_link_init conflicts with portcfgfillword configuration. Valid configurations are: vc_translation_link_init = 0, fillword = IDLE_IDLE or vc_translation_link_init = 1 fillword=ARB_ARB, IDLE_ARB, AA_THEN_IA

3. In your experience, which is the best device for using for DWDM with Brocade DCXs ? in Brocade Compatibility Matrix there's plenty of them

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/matrices/compatibility-matrix-fos-7x-mx.pdf

External Moderator

Re: ISL on DWDM

flb,

I've in all the Years, build 100 and much more Fabric's via WDM, but honestly newer work with Alcatel WDM Plattforms.

I'll try to help you but need more info. Can you please provide for more configurations details at the WDM side ?

From Alcatel WDM,  Inventory list, FW Release, are you using SFP or SFP+ ?

Additional can you provide for SFP Part Number you use to build ISL Link ?

Can I assume you are in Open Environments and not FICON ?

if you don't want to post some Info about Config here in the community, this is my email address

abongiorno_at_techhelp24_net

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.