Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

ISL between brocade 5300 and 4100

I want to build a fabric ISL between brocade 5300 (core) & 4100 (edge).

To make sure that I will work, below my questions:

1/ taking 2 opposite (non_consecutive) quad card, I will get 2 trunk group ?

2/ What are the best practices in terms on physical connexions : 1 trunk with 8 consecutive port or 2 trunks with 4 consecutive ports ?

3/ Do I need to set all the ports to Auto or 4 giga ?

4/ I might need to connect a switch McData to build a fabric with Brocade.

What are the requirements and cli commands to do that ?

I know that between 2 brocades, steps will be :

- switchdisable

- Set Domain ID

- connect ISL

- switch Enabe

5/ Is the a new documentation on how to design SAN between Brocade switchs, beween McData switchs, between Brocade and McData switch?

Thank you for your help

External Moderator

Re: ISL between brocade 5300 and 4100

ramses,

-> 2/ What are the best practices in terms on physical connexions : 1 trunk with 8 consecutive port or 2 trunks with 4 consecutive ports ?

I would you recommended to 1 Trunk 4 Port, to avoid a config mistmach

-> 4/ I might need to connect a switch McData to build a fabric with Brocade.

McDATA and Brocade can only operate in IM 2 or 3, please note that some feature are not longer supported by FabOS if is the Mode is changed.

Details are listet in the release notes.

-> 5/ Is the a new documentation on how to design SAN between Brocade switchs, beween McData switchs, between Brocade and McData switch?

A general DOC is not available, See the FabOS Admin Guide

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Re: ISL between brocade 5300 and 4100

thank you.

Another questions regarding fabrc configuration between brocade 5300 (core) and brocade 5100 (edge) :

1/ Can I use 8 giga sfp and force full duplex for ISL link ?

2/ You advice using 4 ports in one trunk. since te the trunk is one a quad card if this card fail, you will lose all the connexions. So, I might be better to use 2 trunks of 2 ISL instead of 1 trunk of for ISL ?

3/ Using to trunks is it better to use the 2 opposite card quad instead or two close card quad ?

3/ What is generally configured for the non isl ports on edge switchs (servers connexion) : autonegotiate, 2, 4 ?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.