Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

ISL Link between Brocade 300 and 6505 switch

We have two old Brocade 300 Switches with Fabric OS v6.4.3f.Switches are used for Servers and Storage.Switches are not Cascaded.We want to connect two new Brocade 6505 switches with existing switches.

What is the best way to connect this?Which Licenses are require on all the switches?What configuration changes we have to do on all switches?

External Moderator

Re: ISL Link between Brocade 300 and 6505 switch

1) each switch must have Unique Domain ID

2) Fabric License is required for the brocade 300. with "licenseshow" command you can get the output all installed license

- is not longer available ( buil-in) by FOS 7.2.x or higher on 16G Switches

Additional I would suggest to upgrade the Brocade 300 to FOS 7.x , but is not mandatory because you are with FOS 6.4.3 compatible with 6505

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks Antonio.

So I have to connect 2 ports as a normal ISL or I have to create ISL Trunk.I guess for ISL Trunk additional License is require.

Any performance issue will come If I connect normal ISL with 2 ports?

Regards

Ashish

New Contributor

Hell , Antonio,

I have the similar case, but with four exsing switch with separate zone config,

wiI`d like to know  how to determin which One will become principle switch,  and  will the fours switch cfg will have to be wiped before the switch merging (isling) ?   principle config will overwhite the subordinate one ?

External Moderator

1 ) the switch with lowest WWN become as principal switch - you can force another switch in the fabric with the command fabricprincipal -operands ( for details refer CLI manuals )

2) -> ....and  will the fours switch cfg will have to be wiped .... in order to merge the existing config vial ISL, all switch must have the same config, otherwise you get a message return with config mismatch

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

Hello Ashish,

Please clarify: Do you mean 2 E-ports on each switch, so that you have 2 ISLs? If you have 2 ISLs, the benefit from Trunking is that the logical link stays up if one of the both ISLs go down. There are corner cases where it makes sense to have Trunking for performance and that's when the primary link goes out of buffer credits for a certain VC. Then the secondary link takes over for that frame. But in normal cases you won't see any performance improvement when using Trunking.

If you really have only 2 ports (= 1 ISL) anyway, Trunking makes not much sense. You would just be a little bit more prepared for additional ISLs between the same switches in the future if they are possible trunk member candidates. Because in that case, the new ISL would be added to the trunk without re-calculating the FSPF protocol information.

Cheers seb

Frequent Contributor

The principal switch will not overwrite anything. Your switches most probably won't merge and the ISLs show "segmented". The fabric.ops parameters of the configuration need to be the same, domain IDs need to be different and zoning needs to be the very very same, too. (Down to the order of zone members in a zone).

To merge a couple of switches (in use), it makes sense to use Network Advisor or to install the test version if not already in use. It comes with a possibility to match and align the zoning databases of the different switches. So you could merge them to a big fabric one by one. Please have a look in the manual how to do that.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.