Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

IFL Trunk utilisation

Pls help me with this frnds..,

Im always receiving IFL Trunk Txutilisation above the threshold level of default 75% errors in Edge switch in Site A. I have attached an example setup for your reference. Here is the scenerio, I've noticed that Iam having high IFL trunk utilisation in Edge switch in Site A, when analysed through performance graphs, I could see that there are few database servers connected to Edge switch A having high Tx utilisation along with the IFL ports. Also I noticed, no luns are being accessed by the database servers in the other site. But still the Tx utilisation on IFL ports in site A is increasing only when the Tx utilisation on db servers increases.

Due to this, ISL utilisation is also going above the threshold value in backbone & also increasing the Rx utilisation in IFLs of edge switch in site B. However, there are no LUNs from Site B being accessed by DB servers in site A. I dont understand why the IFL utilisation is going above the threshold value. Experts, Could you please help me with this.

Valued Contributor

Re: IFL Trunk utilisation

Hi,

What do you use the FCR for? Do you have any kind of Replication among sites, such as, TrueCopy, SRDF, Mirrorview, etc.?

On the other hand, if you have DCNM you can track the devices that are filling up the IFLs.

rgds

F

N/A

I have de same problem, and similar architecture.

Contributor

Hello Felipon, Thanks for your reply.

We are using FCR for replication & intersite tape backups.

Could you please tell me how can I track the devices that are causing high IFL utilisation without DCNM ????

Contributor

Hello Rafael, May I know how was that fixed??? Also, please let me know how can I track the devices causing the utilisation of any ISL/IFL link????

Thanks for your time...

Valued Contributor

hi ,

You use FCR at FC level, but probably you are using another tool for replication at array level such us EMC SRDF or HDS truecopy, the use of them can justify the intersite load.

Via GUI you can try to use Monitor --> Performance Monitor and try to figure out what could be overloading the IFL. Also, via CLI, you can use perf monitor to view the top talkers and any other perf metric, but, unfortunately, performance license is required to use it...

rgds,

Felipe

Contributor

Hi

As u said, I did check the IFL Utilisation and top talkers in the edge fabric. Its same as what I noticed earlier.

I have found 5 servers are having high utilisation over IFL. But, All those 5 servers are not having any LSAN zones configured.

When those servers are having only Local zones enabled, I'm not able to understand the necessity of those servers to use IFLs. Also, I noticed in the routing table of the same edge fabric, all the In-Ports are having IFL ports as Out-Ports.

Could you please help me in understanding more in detail about FC routing & FC-FC routing

Thanks,

Rakesh P.

Valued Contributor

if no LSANs are configured, there should be no traffic through the IFL. Please, perform a portcamshow <port> on the ports those 5 hosts are connected to. This command shows the FCID that are visible to the host, if there is traffic from those hosts through the IFLs, there should be a FCID that should not be there, but this is just guessing...

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.