Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

IBM - Brocade 300 Firmware Upgrade

Currently running 2 Brocade 300 switches for redundant connections.  I have very little fiber channel experience.  Each switch is runnning 7.1.0.  I have researched the upgrade path 7.1 to 7.2 to 7.3 to 7.4.  I have two questions.

1. Should i upgrade siwtch 1 from 7.1 to 7.2 to 7.3 to 7.4 and wait a week and then upgrade switch 2?

or should i upgrade both switches to 7.2 and wait, then both switches to 7.3 and wait, and finally both to v7.4?

2.  My manager is asking why am i bothering to upgrade at all?  Again, i don't have much fiber channel experience.  The devices are currently working with no problems.  I tend to want to run the latest firmware, but should I bother at all?

is there a possibility i am going to have problems?  Am i going to regret messing with something that is currently stable?

Thanks,

Jeff

External Moderator

Re: IBM - Brocade 300 Firmware Upgrade

Jeff,

If you have a Productive environments, and you are not confident, I would warm Suggest as you mention to Upgrade One Switch fabric at a Time.

Theoretically you manager is right, however FOS 7.1 was End of Transaction Begin April 15, 2015 to October 15, 2015

Now is the FOS End of Support, and customer should Upgrade to newest release.

--->>>is there a possibility i am going to have problems?

No, when you planning a Upgrade Window , and start the "firmwaredowload" from command Line and not trough the WEB Tools.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Will the switches function without issue if i upgrade one all the way to 7.4 and leave the other at 7.1 for a week?

External Moderator

Please ask you Vendor or Reseller, or you Storage Vendor about FOS Release Compatibility.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.