Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Visitor

IBM Brocade 12 Port License Upgrade - Will a Brocade License work or must it be IBM?

I hope someone can answer that. IBM has been (since the sell to Lenovo) hell to deal with when it comes to ordering hardware recently. Now they require a certificate for ordering a 12port License upgrade with SFPs. Totally ridicules since it is not even an IBM Product. So my question is, can i use a brocade license to upgrade the switch license from 12 to 24 ports? Or must it be a license supplied from IBM? 

In the future we will make sure to avoid IBM Brocade and use Brocade directly. Unless this is unresolved and the customer will go to Cisco for the SAN switches, as they at least have no restriction on what i can buy.

Cheers

Markus

Contributor

Re: IBM Brocade 12 Port License Upgrade - Will a Brocade License work or must it be IBM?

I have applied a Brocade port upgrade license obtained from Dell to a Brocade DS5300 with an IBM faceplate.  I have also 'crossed' EMC and Dell much the same way.  We buy upgrades from whoever sells them the most economically.

External Moderator

Re: IBM Brocade 12 Port License Upgrade - Will a Brocade License work or must it be IBM?

bphammon,

from a point of view of compatibility and pricing you are right.

however keep in mind, if the switch is under maintenance and you use different OEM license, support and warranty lost, additional in case of switch replacement due a defective the license will not be migrate to new switch.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.