hi guys

I know these two are Brocade-IBM Branded

I have this two SAN Switch in the IBM BladeCenter
Brocade 10 port 8Gb SAN Switch Module for IBM BladeCenter 
Part Number         44X1925 
FRU Number         44X1927
Externally this one
IBM_2498_B24
OK, basically the one in the blade is an automated switch...
So is there a way to merge or to manage (create zone, zoneset, ...) using the one external - IBM_2498_B24 -.
I am having problems to get all the info in the IBM_2498_B24, since the one in the blade is like a complete Switch on its own.
Any guide o PDF? to make the external one the  Management Switch?
thanks a lot
New Contributor

Re: IBM_2498_B24 as the master Switch

bladecenter san module can uplink to ibm b24,then the two san switch will be in same fabic,you can modify the zone config on anyone of san switch,the new zone config will auto sync to other san switch in same fabric.

NOTE: bladecenter san module can NOT use the same domain id with ibm b24,for example:ibm b24 use domain id 1,bladecenter san module use domain id 2.because the domain id must unique in same fabric.

Contributor

mmm interesting it looks easy

I tried enabling the "Access Gateway Mode" and I also thought about changing the interoperability mode:

Brocade Native Fabric Mode

McDATA Fabric Mode
McDATA Open Fabric Mode

so it is only the Domain ID, OK I will change it since I know both have Domain ID 1 and I will let you know
thanks for your answer
Valued Contributor

Well its not only the DID which has the be unique, there are other setting that must be equal or unique.

BUT should you have used the default settings from IBM (ie haven't changed anything) you should be got to go.

Don't change the interopmode if you don't know what it does or is used for.

And from the previous posts i get the impression that you don't know.

Change it back to the original setting if you changed it.

Addition>>

Access gateway mode is the easiest BUT you need to have all POD licenses installed.

Contributor

Editing

Forget What I wrote before....

My partner said....

OK let's change the Domain IDs and we have to create an ISL between the Blade Switch (Brocade 10 port 8Gb) and IBM_2498_B24 but just using one fibre cable from it blade switch since we don't have Trunk licenses to use to cables from blade switch to external switch

As you can see in the attachment Connectivity.png I connected two cables but the design will be one cable. Like I said no trunk license

by the way How Can I find out If I have all the POD licenses?

thanks sorry to bother you with too many questions

Valued Contributor

OK let's change the Domain IDs and we have to create an ISL between the  Blade Switch (Brocade 10 port 8Gb) and IBM_2498_B24 but just using one  fibre cable from it blade switch since we don't have Trunk licenses to  use to cables from blade switch to external switch

The fact that you don't have a tunking license, doesn't mean you cannot use more than one ISL between the switches.

Using more ISLs (preferably on different portgroups) in conjunction with Exchange Based Routing (default setting on Brocade), gives you some redundancy and performance benefits over a single ISL. I would go for at least 2 ISLs per blade switch (as in your drawing), but if you have more ports free you can alway add more

by the way How Can I find out If I have all the POD licenses?

on the CLI use licenseshow

Contributor

thanks a lot

I will try on Monday

and I'll be posting

Contributor

Both mode Worked.....native and access gateway.....

at the end we decided to use native is we left to ISL connected and according to what you said EBR will provide some performance and redundancy

by the way having both options (native - access gateway what would you choose and why?)

thanks a lot

Valued Contributor

Fabric (Native) Mode, as you don't have a trunking license.

With a trunking license you could have enabled F port Trunking.

In that scenario I would gave choosen AG mode because its a (almost completly) set-forget config option.

Without the license, failover failback could have an impact on host as their PID will change.

External Moderator

--->>> With a trunking license you could have enabled F port Trunking.

--->>> Without the license, failover failback could have an impact on host as their PID will change.

Alternative to Trunk License = DPS

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.