Fibre Channel (SAN)

I need some assistance connecting a brocade fabric switch to a Cisco MDS 91xx

I have not worked very much at all with Brocade fabric switches. I have been given retired production equipment to create a test lab. It is a real mixture of "technology". There is a Dell blade Center with two brocade modules installed. I have two Cisco MDS switches that have been configured. In terms of host connections I have 4 x IBM x3850 devices that are patched between the MDS fabric. An IBM DS4500 SAN that is also patched into the MDS fabric. The IBM servers are all running Windows 2012 R2. The Dell blade center hosts 3 x ESX 5.5U3 servers - the FC connectivity is via the brocade and ports have been physically patched into the MDS fabric. When I query the interaces on the Brocade I am getting "no light" and on the MDS switches I am geting "not connected". I enabled NPIV on the MDS switches - found some reference via Google. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly received on a) how to configure this and zone it in. End goal is to give the ESX servers access to the storage. Thank you. Adrian.

External Moderator

Re: I need some assistance connecting a brocade fabric switch to a Cisco MDS 91xx

@adrianmarccreek

->There is a Dell blade Center with two brocade modules installed. 

switch type and FOS release ? from command line please post output of "switchshow"

->I have two Cisco MDS switches that have been configured.

MDS Switch model and Firmware Release ?

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Re: I need some assistance connecting a brocade fabric switch to a Cisco MDS 91xx

You would need to convert your Dell Brocade switches into the "Access Gateway" mode.
New Contributor

Thank you for that - I am trying to get the GUI to work - but like many other people am hitting issues with JAVA.

New Contributor

Brocade switch is MK8428 K and 6.4.3_dcb3 - MDS 91xx 3.3 (5b)

External Moderator

@adrianmarccreek

M8428-K is a converged switch ( FCoE )

as suggested by @alexey.stepanov you have to put the switch in AG Mode, and connect to Cisco, however for all that is mandatory to have FC Port Licensed.

licenseshow command, can you verified installed license.

External Port 17-24 are CEE Port's, where Port 25, 26, 27 and 0 are FC Port's

latest FW for DELL Blade is 6.4.3_dcb4.

about you Java issue, I would suggest to use Version 7

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Good morning.

Success - I managed to connect my Brocade to the MDS fabric - all ESX hosts within the Dell Blade Center are now visible to the MDS pairing. I used an XP box, plus older Firefox and Java 1.7.x to run the WT GUI and was able to configure the switches using this and some CLI. Zoned up the ESX hosts and connected to the storage.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Greatly appreciated.

Adrian. 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.