Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

I have a Linux server with 2 port HBAs. HBAs ports are zoned to netapp as well as ibm storage. BAD?

I have a Linux server with 2 HBAs with 2 ports on each HBA. HBAs ports are zoned to netapp as well as ibm storage.

Is it recommended ?

Zoning something like below:

HBA1 - IBM Controller1a

HBA2 - IBM Controller2a

HBA1 - IBM Contolller1b

HBA2 - IBM Controller2b

HBA1 - Netapp Contoller1

HBA2 - Netapp Contoller2

I have been facing many multipaht issue. so wondering if zoning should follow best practices!

ANy help would be highly appreciated.

Valued Contributor

Re: I have a Linux server with 2 port HBAs. HBAs ports are zoned to netapp as well as ibm storage. BAD?

so you have six independent zones here? if yes, this kind of zoning looks 100% good to me. best of the best practices.
Frequent Contributor

Re: I have a Linux server with 2 port HBAs. HBAs ports are zoned to netapp as well as ibm storage. BAD?

I agree with Alexey and I fear that even the most granular zoning won't save you from multipathing problems. That's most probably something you need to solve on the host itself.

Frequent Contributor

I agree with Seb. This is not a SAN issue. Most often the hosts multipath.conf is setup incorrectly not differentiatig between the different device types. This causes conflicts. 

This is not a SAN issue but more a Linux configuration problem. 

Kind regards,
Erwin van Londen
Brocade Distinguished Architect
http://www.erwinvanlonden.net The Fibre Channel blog

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Guys. Actually zones are not independent.

Brocade Sw1 Zone 1: ServerHBA1_IBM_N1_N2_P1

Brocade Sw2 Zone 12 ServerHBA2_IBM_N1_N2_P2

Cisco Sw1 Zone1: ServerHBA1_NetappN1_N2_P1

Cisco Sw2 Zone 2: ServerHBA2_NetappN1_N2_P2

Single HBA with dual port where P1 is going to brocade switch and P2 is going to cisco switch

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.