Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

I have 2 8510 s in 2 computer rooms about 10k apart. Wondering about compression on trunk

I have a 4 fibre trunk at 16Gb  

A 2 fibre trunk at 16Gb

and a 2Gb trunk at 8Gb

Wondering if anyone with experience using compression between sites would recommend it to reduce bandwidth requirements.

Brocade Moderator

Re: I have 2 8510 s in 2 computer rooms about 10k apart. Wondering about compression on trunk

Hello,

Average compression ratio is 2:1.

There are limitations concerning number of ports supported per chip or trunk (32Gb/s max).

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Re: I have 2 8510 s in 2 computer rooms about 10k apart. Wondering about compression on trunk

Thanks for the info on the 32Gb/s max. Had not seen this.
Do you know if this feature is widely used?
Brocade Moderator

[ Edited ]

Depending your FOS version, FOS admin guide describe the different cases (section In flight encryption and compression overview).

This feature is used but as it is not in the default configuration, few user utilizes it without encryption.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

still at 7.3.1d  Will move to 7.4...soon.

Thanks

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.