Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

I am working on a project where I am migrating from an IBM DSXXXX to a EMC VNX 5400

I am working on a project where I am migrating from an IBM DSXXXX to a EMC VNX 5400 and was wondering if anyone has done this with Brocade Data Migration Manager or some other tool? IWhat did you like about the product and what was a sticking point for you? How is this licensed per user, amount of data migrated or ? Can you list your steps of the over all process and how long it took to synch things up between the San's?  I appreciate you honesty.

Cheers.

Contributor

Re: I am working on a project where I am migrating from an IBM DSXXXX to a EMC VNX 5400

never did it using this tool,

however if you don't have too much data to be moved , I would advise to do that manually

then you will have full controll over what has been done

rgds

Frequent Contributor

Re: I am working on a project where I am migrating from an IBM DSXXXX to a EMC VNX 5400

what speaks against a host based migration versus storage based migration?

espescially when exchanging storage boxes i would review the current lun layout/policy

New Contributor

I appreciate the responses, please keep your thoughts comming Smiley Happy So let me add some additional information that may make things clearer. The systems that we are moving from has production data from the last 10 years in a 24x7 environment and being that is the case we need to move the data online. There are may ways to accomplish this and we are looking at options that will increase the speed at which we can migrate with full redunancy until the final cutover. I have been recently introduced to IBM SVC (San Volume Controller) and would love to hear from anyone that has used this product. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter and willingness to share your experiences. 

Cheers.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.