Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

I Can't get a 5300 to Connect to a 48000 via ISL. Please Help !

[ Edited ]
I'm having difficulty connecting a Brocade Model 5300 switch ( with no active config) to a model 48000 Switch via an ISL with dark fiber and Ciena DWDM's on either end. Both switches are running V6.4.3 and the distance between the switches is roughly 8km. Both switches have extended fabric licenses Usually, the link won't come up the first time, but if I disable & e-enable the port a few times, un-plug and re-plug the cable a few times, I can get the link to come up and the 5300 will merge with the fabric. Once the ISL is up, it stays up, but if un-plug and re-plug the cable , it won't re-merge and I'm back to where I started (disable & e-enable the port a few times, un-plug and re-plug the cable a few times to get the link re-established. I suspect that my issue is the settings on the ISL ports
. I'm using Brocade model 57-1000015-01 4GB LW 10KM SFPs.
The 48K is a 4Gb switch and the 5300 is an 8GB switch, but the Ciena DWDMs only have 2GB cards, so I have the SFP's "hard set" to 2GB on each end.
Is it even possible to get this scenario to work correctly, and if so, how should I configure the ISL ports ?
Below are the ISL port configs from my last UN-successful attempt:

Because the 5300 is an 8GB switch, so it wants to use a different fill word. Does this matter ? It wasn't happy when I tried to change it to Idle-Idle
Anyway - I'm a novice at ISL configuration and have made 6 or 8 attempts to get this ISL configuration to work - all with the same results.
Can someone help me with the correct settings for this to work ( assuming that it's possible).

I'd REALLY appreciate it.

48000 :

admin> portcfgshow 9/31
Area Number: 239
Speed Level: 2G
Fill Word: 0(Idle-Idle)
AL_PA Offset 13: OFF
Trunk Port OFF
Long Distance LE
VC Link Init ON
Locked L_Port OFF
Locked G_Port OFF
Disabled E_Port OFF
Locked E_Port OFF
ISL R_RDY Mode OFF
RSCN Suppressed OFF
Persistent Disable OFF
LOS TOV enable OFFv NPIV capability ON
QOS E_Port OFF
Port Auto Disable: OFF
Mirror Port OFF
F_Port Buffers OFF
Fault Delay: 0(R_A_TOV)
NPIV PP Limit: 126

5300:

admin> portcfgshow 19
Area Number: 33
Speed Level: 2G
Fill Word: 1(Arbff-Arbff)
AL_PA Offset 13: OFF
Trunk Port ON
Long Distance LE
VC Link Init ON
Locked L_Port OFF
Locked G_Port OFF
Disabled E_Port OFF
Locked E_Port OFF
ISL R_RDY Mode OFF
RSCN Suppressed OFF
Persistent Disable OFF
LOS TOV enable OFF
NPIV capability ON
QOS E_Port OFF
Port Auto Disable: OFF
Rate Limit OFF
EX Port OFF
Mirror Port OFF
Credit Recovery ON
F_Port Buffers OFF
Fault Delay: 0(R_A_TOV)
NPIV PP Limit: 126
CSCTL mode: OFF
Contributor

Re: I Can't get a 5300 to Connect to a 48000 via ISL. Please Help !

Your fill words are different... One switch is set to 0 and the other is set to 1.

I'd set them both to 0.

Contributor

Not a switch setting (to be clear). Fill Word is a port setting.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

Richkell is right, fillword in both ends should be the same. But in this case, if working at 2G, the fillword settings configured at port level will not be taken into account.

Many times, the restrictions are stablished by 4he dwdm array. In order to see what config is best for the isl stability try to lock the ports as E-port, disable vc link init and/or enable r_rdy mode.

Rgds

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.