Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to uplink brocade switch 620?

Hello, I am a newbie to fibre channel and san.

We are planning to implement new brocade G620 switches in our new SAN.

Is it possible to uplink the switches G620 with other brocade switches? Which (less expensive) 12 port brocade switch is compatible for an uplink? Which ports should be used on the switches for an uplink?

Reason for this scenario: the distance from our servers to the storage node is a little bit to long. So we planned to establish a (small) switch in the server rack, then we want to go with only one (or two) cable(s) to the G620 switch which is directly attached to the stroage node.

Any idea?

Thanks, NewbieBrocade

Brocade Moderator

Re: How to uplink brocade switch 620?

Hello,

What is the switch model you would like to use and FOS version?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
New Contributor

Hello Thierry,

well I think about a brocade 6505 switch to connect to the servers. The 6505 switch would be connected to the G620 switch. 

The FOS would be the actual Version 8 (?). Hope, this will be possible... 

Brocade Moderator

Yes, they are both supported in release 8.x.

You can connect them.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
New Contributor

Okay, I can connect them... but how? The maximum distance between the 6505 switch and G620 switch will be about 70m. 

D_Port, E_Port, F_Port, M_Port, N_Port? Which is the "best" cable? SWL-cable?

Somehow I think its like an ISL-connection. Does it play a role, where to set the cable on the G620 (and the 6505)?

I read something about this topic in the datasheets:

16 Gbps: Brocade 6505 requires Brocade hot-pluggable SFP+, LC connector; 16 Gbps SWL, LWL, ELWL

Brocade 6505 is configurable in 12 or 24 ports and supports 2, 4, 8, or 16 Gbps

...I have no idea...

Greetings

NewbieBrocade

Brocade Moderator

[ Edited ]

The best is to use 16Gps sfp+ with OM4 cables Multimode as well (OM3 can be ok).

The configuration will be to setup both ports of the 2 switches in E-Port (ISL), fix the speed rate to 16Gps.

You can choose unused ports for that.

Attached is the admin guide, including recommendations concerning merge of switches.

New Contributor

Thank you Thierry!

I will check it out!

NewbieBrocade

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.