Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How to save the current configuration on brocade Core Switch?

Hi,

I have 5 Edge switches and one core switch. I would like to create alias on one of the Edge switch which is connected to one DMX Storage.

So my question is Where I needs to run the commands for creating aliases and saving the current configuration?

Is that on Edge Switch or Core Switch ? And Why? Also what is the difference between core switch and principal Switch?

Thanks in advance.

mac
N/A

Re: How to save the current configuration on brocade Core Switch?

Edge switches are primarily the connections to the Host's, whereas the Core switch has the connections to the Shared resource.

Therefore the Core switch is named as it is where the shared resources are generally provisioned from.

A Principal switch is generally the switch from which all commands are run, this may or may not be the core switch.

The configuration is then sent to all the subordinate switches.

Core - Edge is generally describes the physical layout and connectivity of the switches.

It seems strange that you have a shared resource (DMX) on an Edge switch.

Some times this does happen when fabrics grow over time.

Super Contributor

Re: How to save the current configuration on brocade Core Switch?

Hi mac,

you are right Core Edge discribe a topology. But the Core switch carries only ISL and NO devices.

So a DMX is OK on the Edge.

You can run all commands from all switches. The principal takes care about Time sync over the switches. 

Manages the assignment of unique Domain IDs.

FSPF also uses dedicated ISLs to exchange data with the fabric prinicpal. These ISL are marked as upstream and down stream ISLs.

Zoning commands can be run from all switches without any isues. Use from the CLI the zonehelp copmmand for further information.

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.