Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

How to reset / recover lost password from a IBM 2498-B24 SAN switch running Fabric OS?

Hello Experts,

I have two IBM 2498-B24 SAN switches running Brocade Fabric OS with Linux kernel 2.6. These two switches were brought quite a time ago and NO ONE knows the passwords of them.

However, now it is required two create new SAN zones and erase existing ones.

Therefore I need to login to the shell but since no one has password of those switches, I am unable to do it.

So my last options would be either reset switch to FACTORY DEFAULTS or change root password. How can someone help me to recover the lost pass word or tell me a way to reset the switch to its factory defaults.

NOTE: Currently I am unable to log into switch shell except "command shell" at switch reboot.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sajith

Regular Contributor

Re: How to reset / recover lost password from a IBM 2498-B24 SAN switch running Fabric OS?

Hi Sajith

did you try default root password "fibranne" ?

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

--

david

Contributor

Re: How to reset / recover lost password from a IBM 2498-B24 SAN switch running Fabric OS?

Hi David,

Well, I didn't try it.. What I tried so far include default adminSmiley Tongueassword and USERIDSmiley TongueASSW0RD and bla bla...

I will try that combination on tomorrow.

By the way, if by chance that also didn't work then, how do I reset the switch to its default (factory default) state? As far as I know, in Cisco MDS switches there is a small button that you can use for reset functionality. However, I cannot see anything similar in these two switches. In that case, how to reset the switch to is factory default state provided that you have access to initial "command shell"? In other words, how do I run initial "set up" program again?

Hope you guys can help me...

Thanks

Sajith

External Moderator

--->>>As far as I know, in Cisco MDS switches there is a small button...

I don't know all Cisco Switch Models on the market, however I've never see any Cisco MDS SAN Switch with reset Buttons as mention here.

if a password is lost, - both by Cisco or Brocade - you need to reset with appropriate Password Recovery Procedure.

TechHelp24
Contributor

What would be the appropriate Password Recovery Procedure for resetting aforementioned two SAN switches. Can you kindly provide me the required steps OR any reference documentation regarding this switch resetting procedure?

Thanks

Sajith

External Moderator

I'm very soory, but I'm not authorised to Post or Public such procedure here in the Community.

You have to open a call by you Supplier/ OEM or Brocade.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Ohh.. I wonder why is that?? I am looking for some sort of help here.. I guess that why communities for; to share experience and knowledge..

Can't you at least provide a document then?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.