Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

I've several switches (FC5022) configured in AG Mode connected via F-Port trunks to the fabric.

When I execute command agshow on the fabric I've following message:

"No Access Gateway is registered with this fabric"

So my question, do I have to manually register the Access Gateway to the fabric and if so how do I do that?

I would also like to have these switches in INA. Switches in AG Mode can't be a Seed Switch. So how can I get these devices in INA?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Jan

Contributor

Re: How to register switch in ag mode with the fabric

Hi, Jan!

I can not tell you anything about agshow command. May be it depends on firmware level installed on switches? What's your firmware level?

If I know, it is no broblem add switches in access gateway mode into INA.

Seed Switch relates for FCS policy, not for INA.

Brocade Moderator

Hello,

Yes need to know the FOS version of the switches into the Fabric that can't see the AGs.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

The FOS version of both the switch in AG mode as the Edge switch in the SAN are at v7.3.1b (we will soon upgrade to v7.4.1c)

Thanks and regards

Occasional Contributor

Hi Pavel,

The FOS version on the switches in AG Mode and on the Edge switch to which this is connected is v7.3.1b (we will soon upgrade to v7.4.1c)

When I try to add the switch in AG Mode to BNA (via Fabric Discovery) I get the message that a switch in AG Mode can not be a seed switch. I can understand that message as a switch in AG Mode is not part of the fabric, is connected via F-Port (in my case via 4 trunked F-Ports)

Can you please provide me the steps on how to add a switch in AG Mode to BNA?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Contributor

Hi, Jan!

About seed switch:

From BNA admin guide.

"The Management application requires that the seed switch is the primary Fabric Configuration
Server (FCS) switch at the time of discovery.
Setting time on the fabric will set the time on the primary FCS switch, which will then distribute the
changes to other switches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discovery is the process by which the Management application contacts the devices in your SAN.
When you configure discovery, the application discovers devices connected to the SAN. The
application illustrates each device and its connections on the Connectivity Map (topology).
When you discover a fabric, the Management application checks to confirm that the seed switch is
running a supported Fabric OS version in the fabric, and if it is not, the Management application
prompts you to select a new seed switch.

For a Fabric OS fabric, the seed switch must be the primary Fabric Configuration Server (FCS). If
you use a non-primary FCS to discover the fabric, the Management application displays an error
and will not allow the discovery to proceed. If the Management application has already discovered
the fabric, but afterward you create the FCS policy and the seed switch is not a primary FCS, an
event is generated during the next poll."

It means that you can use only one switch, as seed, for discover all fabric members (in terms of switches native mode).

The next,

"NOTE
Switches running in Access Gateway mode cannot be used as the seed switch.

NOTE
The Backbone Chassis cannot be used as seed switch to discover and manage edge fabrics. You
must discover a seed switch from each edge fabric to discover and manage the edge fabric."

this is due to the design.

Switch in AG mode is look like fabric client (port aggegator), not a fabric member.

Backbone Chassis use one ip-address for control, but chassis can contain some logical switches. So if you want discover fabric using seed switch, you must discover fabric contains logical switches and FCS enable policy from switch with no-VF mode enabled.

I hope I explain understandably...

In additional, all switches in the fabric must have the same user credentials for a successful switch discovery. The BNA credentials are the BNA database credentials; not the BNA application login credentials.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your reply. I've also read that information in the administration guide and I understand a switch in AG Mode is not part of the fabric and as such will not be discovered via fabric discovery.

So my question remains. Is it possible at all to have a switch in AG Mode registered in BNA? And if so how to do this.

Thanks and regards,

Jan C

External Moderator

@jan_crijns

the concept of AG is:

Server/HBA -> AG_mode Switches -> to a Fabric also Core or Edge Switch.

Core and Edge switch are seed Switches.

it is not clear to me:

where you want to connect in AG Mode set switch to ? what is you design ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for your reply. My design is as you described. Host connect via backplane to the switches in AG Mode (FC5022). FC5022 connects via 4 N-Ports to F-Ports (trunked) on Edge Switch in SAN fabric, Edge Switch via ISL (trunk) to Core Switch.

So I would expect that with command agshow (on the Edge Switch), I would see some information about the AG switches. As Fabric OS Command References describes 'Displays the Access Gateway information registered with the fabric.'

When I perform the command on the Edge Switch I get following output:

{switch}:{UserID}:agshow
Worldwide Name            Ports   Enet IP Addr    Firmware                  Local/Remote   Name
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No Access Gateway is registered with this fabric

So probaly we have first to solve this issue. How does an Access Gateway register with the fabric?

Maybe once the AG switches are registered with the fabric, they will also be discovered by BNA (via the Edge Switch, that's in turn discovered via the seed switch?)

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Best regards,

Jan C

External Moderator

@jan_crijns

it show as no port are mapped and no port group is created.

please post follow output:

ag --mapshow and ag --pgshow

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.