Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

How to monitor port status

I need to monitor daily if any port which were online got offline or having any issues ( in sync etc)

Since we dont have DCFM/Network Advisor yet, how can i enable this funtionality ?

i would like to avoid doing manual checks.

We dont have fabric watch either, can syslog or snmp help ?

What is the procedure to get this alerts ?

Any scripts ?

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: How to monitor port status

Hi,

this is Fabric Watch or if you have FOS 7.2 Fabric Vision.

If you do not have those License, you have to Monitor your RAS-Logs manually.

That is the way live works. When you want to have comfort you have to pay for it Smiley Happy

Kind Regards
Ralf
Contributor

We have a script that gathers the errors for each port, saves them, then clears them. In that directory, I can grep the port in switchname* and see, for the last 90 days, whether it's been online, offline, and whether it's had errors. All using nothing more than ssh.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can use SNMP to monitor the status of ports to see if the went offline or not.

If you shop already runs Cacti or Nagios this is relative easy (1 day to get a POC going) to setup and cost you only a few hours work. Both Nagios and Cacti can alert when thresholds have been breached although may require an pluging)

The Names and OID you are looking for are (from Brocades SW-MIB)

swFCPortPhyState <> .1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.1.6.2.1.3

swFCPortOpStatus <> .1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.1.6.2.1.4

swFCPortAdmStatus <> .1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.2.1.1.1.6.2.1.5

There are similare ones from the FibreChannel Alliance FCMGMT-MIB

connUnitPortState <> .1.3.6.1.3.94.1.10.1.6

connUnitPortStatus <> .1.3.6.1.3.94.1.10.1.7

connUnitPortHWState <> .1.3.6.1.3.94.1.10.1.23

Contributor

Dion ,

Thanks for the post, its very usefull, it will get what i want , however, my intension was not to keep customizing each and every alerts and have to code something new for things i did not think about, i.e FCIP tunnel going bad, BB credit deplition, port errors increasing, i would have to come up with a plan for each of this seperately, does BNA offer built in capabilities which makes things easier and catch most of the abnormalities ?

Does third party tools such as orion any good ? is fabric watch needed to send snmp alerts of interest, i know you can alert snmp natively but then why Fabric Watch, what addtional capabilites does it bring?

lots of questions , not enough answers.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

standar SNMP traps will notify issues such as a defective SFP, FAN, CP, etc. Fabric Watch allows you to configure snmp traps/emails for a way bigger number of issues: if a port reaches a certain amount of CRC errors, or a certain number of frame discards; if CPU is above a determinate threshold, etc.

I personally find it very useful for t'shooting.

Rgds,

Felipon

Valued Contributor

AFAIK Orion uses SNMP as well, if it has pre defined templates to do what you'r interested in , by all means go for it.

Unfortunately I don't know Orion at all. I use SNMP for everything i need combined with tailored templates in Cacti.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.