Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

How to configure Brocade 7500 to use remote tape drive

Hi,

We have one fabric (Fabric A - McData mode) with two DCX (FOS 6.2.1b) and two McData 6140 (9.7.4), our host (TSM server) is connected in this fabric.

We have another fabric (Fabric B - Open mode) with one McData 6140, the tape drive is connected in this fabric, one disk controller is also connected there.

We have interconnected these two fabrics using two Brocade 7500, the E,EX,VE port configuration is the following :

(Fabric A) E--> EX --> VE ----- (2x 1Gb/s 300 km IP network) --> VE --> EX --> E (Fabric B)

See attached document for detailed info.

If we create a LSAN zone and assign one disk from controller in Fabric B to a host in Fabric A, everything is working fine but if we assign the tape drive to the host, it is impossible to read or write to the tape, I/O errors are reported by the host.

Is there any special configuration we have to set on the 7500, DCX or McData ? We try to with compression, tape pipelining enabled or disabled but it does not change anything.

Thank you,

Fabian

Super Contributor

Re: How to configure Brocade 7500 to use remote tape drive

Fabian,

in short form..... I think.....

--->>>>...it is impossible to read or write to the tape, I/O errors are reported by the host.

The Tape is a Member of Fabric B, is correct ?

What Type of Port do you have set between 6140 and Tape ?

If L_Port is set, please notefollow,  L_Port is not longer supported in DCX ( Fabric A ) and this can caused the problem in your case.

let me know.

New Contributor

Hi,

We use only F-Port.

Kind regards,

Fabian

N/A

Hi!

We had a similar problem. Try to adding the "fake" devices (eg, the  ports of the disk array) into drive LSAN-zone, or use LSAN tagging.

Super Contributor

Although I'm not an expert on interop. The one thing I would check is the correctness of the LSAN zones.

Rule says

1. LSANs on both sides must have the same number of members.

2. LSANs on both sides must have the same members.

The LSAN names can be different.

Chances of you making this mistake is low, since you already have an LSAN for storage, but good to check or peer check with us.

Also post the portcfgshow for the port on which the tape drive is connected.

New Contributor

Hi,

LSAN Zones are OK as we have access to the tape drive from the host, we only have I/O errors when we access them.

Kind regards,

Fabian

New Contributor

We found the solution, we put a DCX in Fabric B so we have now a 7500 --> DCX --> McData and all is working fine now.

So the issue is really due to a compatbility issue between the 7500 and the McData 6140.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.