Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
sdh2007

How to Convert port zoning to wwn zoning ?

Hi,

We have two production SAN fabrics (Fabric A & B) each consists of 2 48k directors. The current zoning scheme implemented is port zoning. I want to implement wwn zoning. How to convert port zoning to wwn zoning scheme without impacting data flow in the SAN?.

Your answer would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

sd

Super Contributor
bijukrishnan

Re: How to Convert port zoning to wwn zoning ?

Hi,

You can create a new zone with the WWPN's (aliases), run cfgenable and then delete the old zone and run cfgenable. Try it on one server and one path first, if it works u can perform this for all.

I dont think this shd cause any outage, but cannot offer any guarantees. I have tried replacing different aliases (with same WWPN's) using the above method and it worked, no outage. but once i tried adding the member and then deleting it at one go and run cfgenable and the path went offline. The key is to create the new zone run cfgenable, then delete the old zone and run cfgenable. 2 steps rather than one.

Regards,

Biju

Occasional Contributor
shaque26

Brocade has a service. What you need to do is run SAN Health Check, and send the report to and say you need WWID based zoning. You may need to get you reseller involve.

SF

New Contributor
KeesvP

Hi

clone your zone

add the wwid's of the devices in the zone and delete the port nrs.

save and activate the zone.

supposing you have 2 fabrics, then 1st the one then the other fabric

rgds

Kees

Frequent Contributor
HealthAdmin

Hi sdh2007,

As shaque26 said, SAN Health is a great start to this process.  The only caveat I'd add is that you need to have a Brocade employee involved in the process.  If you know a Brocade SE or other employee, have them request the zone migration text and zone migration groups from shadmin@brocade.com.  This should make converting the port-based zones to WWN zones easy.  It can also be done with aliases instead of just WWNs if the aliases are already defined in the zones.

This service is called SAN Health zone migration.

Other uses for this service are to migrate zones from an old fabric to a new fabric like old FOS to new FOS, EOS to new FOS or even MDS to new FOS.  We've also had folks that accidentally deleted their zones and didn't have a back up but they did have a SAN Health audit.  We were able to recreate the zones for them.

Also, SAN Health is free.  Running SAN Health and generating unlimited numbers of reports are free.  SAN Health Professional is free. Converting zones with SAN Health zone migration is free.

Message was edited to clarify the name of the service and to indicate the price structure for SAN Health.

jsg
Occasional Contributor
jsg

How much does this service cost of mapping switch ports to wwpns?

Frequent Contributor
HealthAdmin

Hi James,

I edited my comment above to include the fact that all SAN Health features are free after you asked the question.  If you want to delete your comment I'll delete this one to keep the thread simplified.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.