Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How to Configure Tape Library in SAN Brocade 300

Friends,
I need to configure a Dell Tape Library (TL4000) in a Brocade SAN switch 300 to a server. How to configure through the web interface of the switch a tape library in a SAN environment with a host server for backup of Storage? I imagine that has to create two zonings, the first between the server and Storage and the second between the server and the tape, right? Can someone send me some procedure to create these zonings, please?
Thanks for help.

External Moderator

Re: How to Configure Tape Library in SAN Brocade 300

Alias: Server

Alias: Library

both Alias are member in the zone

ZONE: backup

the zone is member follow config

cfg: my_server_backup_cfg

config must be activated.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi TechHelp24,

I do not understand the procedures you informed. I do not have much knowledge in SAN.
I prefer to run this setup through the web interface, it is possible? Could you pass the more detailed procedures, please?
Thank you.

Frequent Contributor

Hello estevao,

Brocade has to interesting best-practices that apply to your case for sure:

1. Create single initiator zones.

2. Separate disk IO from tape IO.

Based on these recommendations you should do the following:

1. Go to webtools interface, open the Zoning tool.

2. Create an alias for the WWN of your FC port. (Not for the WWN of the adapter but the WWN of the port). = FC1

3. Create an alias for the WWN of your tape drive. = TP1

4. Create an alias for the WWN of the front-end port of your disk array. = DISK1

5. Create TWO zones, one for tape and the other for disk array. = ZONE1, ZONE2

6. ZONE1=FC1+TP1

7. ZONE2=FC1+DISK1

8. Include the zones you just created into your zoning configuration.

9. Save your zoning configuration

10. Enable your zoning configuration.

Note: Special zoning recommendations may apply for your Disk Array. What disk array do you have? Do you have two FC fabrics or only one?

It's even better if you can isolate Tape IO in a dedicated HBA, but if you have only one it's enough to use two zones.

Tell us more info so we can help you better.

Super Contributor

Hi, Never die has clearly mentioned the steps. But still thne if you do not able to understand, then you have to understand the zoning and its best practices. If thi s TL has a robotic arm, then you have to zone the same with ur back up master server. if the TL has 4 drives , and you have redundant fabrics, connect 2 drives to each fabric. If you have 4 HBAs, then connect 2 HBAs to each Fabric.Out of that 2 HBA zone one HBA with Storage and one HBA with TL. If you do not have 4 HBAs then on th esame HBA you can zone both Tape and Storage.Which OS the server has.Be alert while connecting the drives to SAN. These should be F-port on SAN SW. Sometimes, these show as L-port, then you have doa portdisable/Portenable command, if still it shows L-port, then you have to do configuration from TL side, but make sure it shows all F-Ports on SAN.

Also configure 2 zones, one for Tape and one for storage.

Pls find the zoning Doc attached.

Occasional Contributor

Neverdie,

The SAN environment is already operational, including a Storage Clariion CX4-120, 2 Brocade switches 300 and some servers (hosts).

My activity will be deploying the tape library (Dell TL4000) and configure a server (host) to manage the tape through the ARCserve.So I think I should create a zone between the server and Clariion Storage and a zone between the server (with ARCserve) and tape library, right?
This setting you entered is a direct connection between the Storage and tape, which does not apply in this case, right? Am I wrong?
You can forward this zoning procedure adapted, including the backup server? Do you understand my situation?

Thanks again.

Frequent Contributor

Hi estevao,

Let me see if I understand your current situation:

- You have two Brocade 300, two fabrics

- You have 1 backup server (ArcServ) attached to a tape drive. Let's call it BKP_SRV

- You have a tape drive with single FC adapter. = TAPE_DRIVE

- You have other hosts attached to your Clariion CX4 using two FC ports. Let's call them SRV1_P1, SRV1_P2, SRV2_P1, SRV2_P2, ...,etc

- You have Clariion CX4 attached, I suppose according to EMC recommendations, SPA1 to Fabric 1, SPA2 to Fabric 2, SPB1 to Fabric1, SPB2 to Fabric 2.

In this case you have to create this configuration

Switch 1:

TAPE_Z=BKP_SRV + TAPE_DRIVE

SRV1_Z=SPA1+SPB1+SRV1_P1

SRV2_Z=SPA1+SPB1+SRV2_P1

Switch 2:

SRV1_Z=SPA2+SPB2+SRV1_P2

SRV2_Z=SPA2+SPB2+SRV2_P2

Add the zones you just created to your zone configuration, enable the configuration and you're ready to go.

Cheers,

Occasional Contributor

Neverdie,

I think I understand now!

Thanks again!

Best Regards.

When I connect the backup server and tape library in the 2 Brocade switches, in the "Zone Admin" (webtools) session will appear on the backup server, the tape and the WWN of each, right?
Then, in the "Alias", I must select the WWN of the backup server and create a "New Alias" with any name (BKP_SRV) then select the WWN of the tape library and create a "New Alias" with a any name (TAPE_DRIVE), right?
Then, in the "Zone", I should create 2 zones in the "New Zone", one between the tape library and backup server (TAPE_Z), adding the two Alias that I created earlier (BKP_SRV + TAPE_DRIVE), right?
Then, another zone (BKP_SRV_Z) between the backup server and Storage (BKP_SRV + SPA1 + SPB1), right?
Should I do this same configuration on another switch, right? Thus I will create an environment of redundancy between the 2 switches, right?
Well, from what I read in the manual that guided Hemant, I think so, what do you think?

Frequent Contributor

Hi estevao,

You got it right, that's the way it works for zoning on Brocade switches, you can do it once and then you will see more clearly what is the concept behind.

You will similarly setup connections also for the second switch and hence ensure high availability. This is for what disk array respects. Tape drives usually come with only one FC port, they rarely support multipathing, so the tape drive will be zoned in one switch only in most cases.

If the question has been answered you can rate the thread and close it so others can find this answer more easily.

Cheers.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks again neverdie!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.