Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How do you connect to fiber switches?

I have a new IBM Blade Center H with 2 internal fiber switch modules. 6 external ports / 14 internal ports.

New Contributor

Re: How do you connect to fiber switches?

That will require configuration on the SAN (to set up storage space), and on the switches (to set up the zones)

Occasional Contributor

Right now I'm unsure how to get the switches to talk to each other. I ran fiber between them, but the jack doesn't light up. The port is online in both switches, but it doesn't seem to recognize that something is connected. I can't setup zones until they are talking to each other.

New Contributor

Did you ever get this going? I'm trying to connect my BladeCenter to an existing brocade switch. I finally got the switch to see the BladeCenter after Persistantly Enabling port 0 and replacing the fibre cable. The switch is now in a "Marginal State". There is a Fabric reconfiguration & subordinate event along with some sync & state change events that stabilize out. What do I need to do to get my switch back into a health state?

Occasional Contributor

I have yet to get it working. I don't know how to tell the switches to talk to each other.

External Moderator

can you list here:Is the Zoning correct configured ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure what you are talking about with PID mode. I'm new to this.

New Contributor

All my fibre switches are IBM branded Brocade switches.Do I need to do something to make a switch subordinate vs. principal?

External Moderator

Hi smorency and Tony_A-&gt;&gt;&gt; All my fibre switches are IBM branded Brocade switches.<BR>Again, can you Confirm that you have ONLY Brocade Switches ????<BR><BR>To resolve this Problem, you must set the correct Domain ID, but note follow!!!<BR><BR>By re-configured/change the Domain ID, you must re-configured all zoning "!!!<BR><BR>You write here:<BR><BR>-&gt;&gt;&gt;The BladeCenter has the SilkWorm 3016 running 5.3.0a.-&gt;&gt;&gt;The other switches are IBM 2109 running 4.0.2<BR><BR>Here is the second critical Problem, the 3016 have the newest FOS= Fabric Operating System 5.3.0, the other switches 2109 are runnig with FOS 4.0.2<BR><BR>Are you sure ?????<BR><BR>FOS 5.3.0 cannot interopereate with 4.0.2, the release 4.0.x is very very OLD and not longer supported by 5.x.<BR><BR>Workaround: if the information correct wath you post here, must upgrade the 2109-XYZ to 5.x.x<BR><BR>NOTE!!! Upgrade by the 4.0.2 must be made Step-by-Step otherview make the switch unusable.<BR><BR>Example first to 4.1.x than to 4.2.x, than to 4.4.x...5.0.x; 5.1.x or 5.2.x and last 5.3.x.<BR><BR>Tony, wich exactely 2109-XXX switch do you have ?, and withc exact FOS is loaded in all switch ?<BR><BR>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++<BR><BR>Smorency,<BR><BR>-&gt;&gt;&gt; The switch in the IBM Blade Chasis is a McData 6/14 port 4Gb Fibre Channel Switch Module for IBM BladeCenter.PID is in they case "indirectly" McDATA to McDATA not important.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

smorency,Switch Interoperability Guide v7.0

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.