Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How do I switch a bladecenter switch (Brocade 4G) to subordinate mode

I have two bladecenters both have the same firmware on Brocade 4G switches.  However, the one where I am unable to assign luns to is configured to be the principal.  I suspect that this might be wrong.  But where do you change this.  I saw where the WWN will determine this, but this seems impractical for a bladecenter. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: How do I switch a bladecenter switch (Brocade 4G) to subordinate mode

Hi jabroc0117

Having one of your blade chassis swicthes sent to "principal" won't cause any issues with zoning.Having a "principal" switch set in a fabric is generally good practice.

Are you switches in the same fabric ?

Occasional Contributor

Yes the two switches are in the same fabric.  We have one primary Brocade Director.  Our blade Centers are connected to this Brocade Director.  On this particular fabric there are two blade centers connected in via brocade SAN 4Gb switches.  Each blade center chasis has two switches, so I see four 4g San switches ISL's into the Director.  I have this one blade center that will not access the storage, even though I see the wwn's show up in the EFC Manager.  The firmare is identical accross all four SAN Gb switch modules (611d).  When I look at the settings on the two switches on the blade center that is of concern I noticed that there are two settings that seem to be different than the other function bladecenter.  These settings are "mode=primary, and downstream/upstream"  I am trying to pinpoint what is different between these two environments, since I can relocate a blade that is assgned storage from the functioning bladecenter to the one in question and it does not see it storage luns. 

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

You can force the option

In FOS 6.1.1d and before (and later ) you can set this command :

fabricprincipal 0 for disable

fabricprincipal 1 for enable

If you write only fabricprincipal the switch return his mode

BC242_F2Smiley Very HappyCFM> fabricprincipal
Principal Selection Mode: Disable

Beware : This command don't work in Acces Gateway ModeI

I suggested you to put your Blade Center Switches in Access Gateway Mode if your Director and BC accepted this.

In this mode, the E_port become à N_Port and all possibilities of the switches are deported on your Director.

The switch is virtualized and cannot became a principal.

There are some others advantage to set this mode.

Take a look on the Acces Gateway Guide.

Best regards,

Yann

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.