Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

How do I Create a new Zone for my new tape backup server (with a HBA) and new Quantum Scalar 50 Fiber Channel Tape Library ?

I have 2 Brocade 4100 Fiber Channel SAN Switches -- How do I Create a new Zone for my new tape backup server (with a HBA) and new Quantum Scalar 50 Fiber Channel Tape Library ?

Frequent Contributor

Re: How do I Create a new Zone for my new tape backup server (with a HBA) and new Quantum Scalar 50 Fiber Channel Tape Library ?

Hi bob.rein

You'll need to create alias for your tape drives that are connect to each FC port on your 4100 , then its just a matter of creating a zone with the alias for the tape and hba.

e.g if you have 4 LTO 4 drives and 4 hba's in your backup server you'd have the following in your zoning conig

zone_lt0_drive1

(hba alias)

(tape alias)

zone_lt0_drive2

(hba_alias)

(tape_alias)

Good luck

David

New Contributor

Re: How do I Create a new Zone for my new tape backup server (with a HBA) and new Quantum Scalar 50 Fiber Channel Tape Library ?

David,

I have two Brocade 4100 for redundancy in my configuration.  Should I have the same alias and zone configuration in both of them for the new tape backup server and fiber channel tape drive zone?

Also, I have two EMC CX300 disk enclosures which are attached to these 2 Brocade 4100's.  When I create the zones should I add the alias's for the EMC CX300 to the zone too so that the tape backup server be able to backup the SAN data?

Thanks for your replies.

Bob

Frequent Contributor

>I have two Brocade 4100 for redundancy in my configuration.  Should I have the same alias and zone configuration in both of them for the new tape backup >server and fiber channel tape drive zone?

If your fabric is not connected via ISL's ( which will make it one fabric) then yes you'll need to create the alias and zoning across each of your 4100's

BTW remeber to balance out your tape and disk controllers across both switches

>Also, I have two EMC CX300 disk enclosures which are attached to these 2 Brocade 4100's.  When I create the zones should I add the alias's for the >EMC CX300 to the zone too so that the tape backup server be able to backup the SAN data?

If your going to be using the CX300 as a disk staging area for your backups then yes , but I would create and seperate zoning entry for this

David

N/A

Hi,

I have a similar situation with bob but I have the following set-up:

Netbackup media server with 2 ports HBA

Dell ML6000 with 4 LTO FC drives

Brocade 300

If I have only 2 ports in my server HBA how will I zone the fc tape drives and the server?

Occasional Contributor

Hi Antoni,

The answer is: it is depend form your SAN configuration.

How many SAN switches dou you have, in this solution?

If you have only one Brocade 300 SAN switch (single fabric) you  should connect both HBA ports and and four LTO FC ports to this switch, and you should create at least two zones for tape backup, like

tape_zone_0 (fchbaport_0, LTO_0, LTO_1)

tape_zone_1 (fchbaport_1, LTO_2, LTO_3)

If you have a dual (redundant) fabric, (it is mean you have at least two Brocade 300 SAN switches) you should connect one FC HBA port and half of LTO ports to fabric_0, and rest of ports (second FC HBA, and two LTO) connect to second fabric (fabric_1).

In this case you will create two similar tape zones, like in first case,  but in different fabrics. For example:

tape_zone_0 (fchbaport_0, LTO_0, LTO_1) for fabric_0

and

tape_zone_1 (fchbaport_1, LTO_2, LTO_3)

Best regards,

Lajos

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.