Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

How can I reset a F/C switch (delete config, reset pwd's, reset to factory defaults)

Hi,

according with my company's data protection policy I'm looking for a simple way to

- reliable delete the config of a silkworm 3250 F/C switch

- reset the passwords to factory default values

In the end it means to reset the whole unit to factory default values.

Current environment:

Kernel:     2.6.14
Fabric OS:  v5.3.1
Made on:    Fri Feb 22 22:11:09 2008
Flash:      Tue Mar 11 12:26:15 2008
BootProm:   4.5.3

Any suggestions welcome!

--

Best regards,

JGoy

External Moderator

Re: How can I reset a F/C switch (delete config, reset pwd's, reset to factory defaults)

Here

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Re: How can I reset a F/C switch (delete config, reset pwd's, reset to factory defaults)

Thank you, but this procedure does NOT delete the current config and does NOT reset the system unit (e.g. IP-address, default gateway, system name etc.) to factory default values, am I right? It just describes how to reset the passwords...

External Moderator

you ask for password reset, this is the first step before ypou can procede whitother step.

--->>>Re: How can I reset a F/C switch (delete config,reset pwd's, reset to factory defaults

about delete config see in the command reference guide example "cfgdelete"

IP address cannot be reset by default, you must set youself whitt the command "ipaddrset"

default ip addr is 10.77.77.77

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

The process I generally go through is as follows:

switchdisable

cfgdisable (hit "y" at prompt)

cfgclear (hit "y" at prompt)

cfgsave (hit "y" at prompt)

configdefault

switchenable

reboot

Then, for the ip addresses, you must reset them manually with the "ipaddrset" command, as suggested above.

As to the user accounts, I would go into either CLI or the webgui and delete all accounts except "factory" and/or "root".

Super Contributor

I agree with lance.m.pearson & TechHelp24's recommended action as these are the 'cleanest' methods.  There is a command to 'reset back to factory defaults', but have never recommended its use as some negative results have occurred.  Also since we didn't know what the actual catalyst of the problem was in conjunction with the command, its just better to steer clear and use the steps given above. 

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager

that was helpful for supporting.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.