Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

How can I connect a Brocade 200E ISL to a Cisco director?

Hi all.

I've got an interoperability question. Having never needed to do this before, I've come here seeking assistance. Had a look in the Brocade documentation and can't find an explicit PDF or note that mentions this.

Here is the situation:

I've got a testing tape drive sitting in a large tape silo in a remote DC. That tape drive is just a plain old 4Gbit/sec LTO-4 drive, FC interface. Nothing special. I need to somehow get it all the way back to my own fabric, which is a purely brocade fabric, consisting of Brocade 200E's and 300's.

In the remote DC, there is a Cisco director chassis.

My question is, how can I get an ISL from my Brocade Silkworm 200E's or 300's to talk to the Cisco director, plug in my tape drive into the Cisco director, then somehow shoot some traffic back through to my own Brocade fabric?

It's been mentioned to me that "Interop" mode would be required, but I thought this was stuff of a bygone era? Can this be accomplished with using a two port VSAN on the director and using one port for the ISL from my brocade fabric, and another port from my tape drive? I thought then maybe they could use (inside that little VSAN) some kind of IVR (Inter-VSAN-routing) to achieve what I want to?

Thanks, all!

External Moderator

Re: How can I connect a Brocade 200E ISL to a Cisco director?

the best way is to use VSAN on Cisco side and NPIV ob Borocade side.

keep in mind, in some TAN environments, LOOP - if Tape Lirary Port is configured as Loop - is not supported in VSAN and NPIV Mode

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi TechHelp24.

Thank you for your very fast and useful response. Can you please expand on this a little for me (ie. - what NPIV does and how it works) and perhaps point me towards some Brocade documentation on this?

If I understand correctly, enabling NPIV sort of makes the switch "more stupid" as kind of a passthrough device, rather than a fully functioning system. Sort of like a gateway. I worry about this, because I need this to work on a per-port level, and not across the whole switch. Not global.

Thanks for your help so far.

External Moderator

Jake,

I've diverse GA= General Available Technical Note and DOC about VSAN and NPIV.

I'll upload later here.

--->>>It's been mentioned to me that "Interop" mode would be required, but I thought this was stuff of a bygone era?

About Interop-Mode, you used the Correct definition "bygone era"

Today not make any sense to continued with IM.

Additional, they have to keep in mind Both, - OS Release on Cisco side  SAN-OS or NX-OS ? and in - Brocade side FOS 5.x; 6.x or 7.x ?

I've made any similary Config a couple of mouth ago by Customer, such Mixed Environments are a bit difficult, and required a deep knowledge.

have a fun :-)

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi there.

Thanks. I'll wait for the uploaded document. Saw the linkedin thing too, thankyou .

OS release on cisco side is almost certainly older SAN-OS. Will not be nexus class. Brocade FabOS will be 6.xx. Probably 6.2.1, if I recall correctly.

Talk soon.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.