Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Help with understanding licencing

hi all

I want to buy a cheap 16 or 24 port 4Gb switch for testing purposes and so was looking at some 'used' switches from a company that recycles old kit from datacentres. Can somebody tell me what the licence implications are here?

i have the following questions: -

Can the company that I buy from (who has recycled the kit) sell me a unit without insisting I buy a licence - eg I just get the unit with any licences that come with it, which will likely be registered to some other company?

If it is ok for me to buy a unit with someone elses licences will I be able to buy a POD if I need to - or wiill that cause conflicts with the Brocade database?

Is there a way I can get the switch WWN checked by Brocade to ensure I won't have any POD licence issue prior to my purchase - The recycling company will give me the WWN of the switch prior to my purchase if I request it.

I know an easy answer to all the above is 'don't buy from that type of company' but I can't afford to do it via buying 'new' and so hopefully you can forgive me for that and answer the questions with my lack of finances in mind

kind regards

External Moderator

Re: Help with understanding licencing

License are Bundled to Single Switch/WWN and not to any physical "Company" or "Person"

In Summary it is not anything prohibited to Sell or Buy used Switch. 

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks - and I think that answers my question, but I have a further question

So if the licences aren't registered to a company or person what is the process that shows the 'company name' in the 'customer' field  when I run a FOS licence query within licence management in mybrocade?

And I can only resturn a licence query result if I put in a WWN of a switch that we own - If I put in a WWN from a different company switch I get an error returned saying there is an ownership conflict.

That would make me think there is a 'licence ownership' element that may need to be transferred prior to selling or buying a used switch?

Many thanks for your help.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

That looks like an administrative procedure to me. In my.brocade.com, there is a Contact us section where I reckon that you can ask these kind of questions.

rgds

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.