Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Help with tim_txcrd_z

Need a little education/help.  I have a storage controller (IBM SVC) connected to my SAN director.  On my director the port that connects the SVC to the director shows the counter tim_txcrd_z increasing. 

My question is, does this mean that the SVC has run out of credits sending to the port, or does it mean that my host that is zoned to that same port is out of credits sending to that port?

Brocade Moderator

Re: Help with tim_txcrd_z

Hello,

Concerning the BBC to 0, is it the switch ports directly attached to the SVC?

If yes, this mean SVC ports are not returning fast the acknowledgements to the switch.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Frequent Contributor

If that's really a problem depends on how much it increases. Maths aside the simplest way to find out is to either use MAPS/FPI or bottleneckmon (on at least a moderate configuration). Have a look into the MAPS guide and also google for brocade SAN fabric resiliency best practices for recommendations.
Contributor

Yes, it is the port where the SVC is attached to the switch.

Turns out our SVC was experiencing a "known bug" (HU01091) and the results were extremely high latency on its host-facing volumes. In addition we saw increasing tim_txcrd_z counters on the SVC switch ports.

Thanks for the replies.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.