Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Help on a simple SAN DESIGN

I have two storage, ds3500, for instance, and two switches, Brocade SilkWorm 3800, for instance.

two ports on each storage should be respectively connected to each SW, Should this design be good enough as attached?

In addition, is there so called "port channeling", I can then use two ports on each storage to each fabric, thus 4 ports on each storage will be used?

Thanks for your help!

Valued Contributor

Re: Help on a simple SAN DESIGN

- Yes, good enough. Apart of the fact that the 3800 are EOSL long time ago.
- In the storage world it is called multi-pathing, and it is configured on the host side. Note that you already need it even in your current simple design.
Occasional Contributor

I'd say that the best way is to connect two ports from each ds3500's controller (4 ports summary) to two redundant fabrics. This suggestion is due to ALUA architecture of ds3500. Screenshot is attached. 

Occasional Contributor

Thanks both!

Yury ,

Your design looks the same as mine, correct? I just wanted to make sure I understand you correctly?

What is they are switches (cisco 9148s-16g), based on feature of these two switches, would that make any difference, in terms of design ?

Valued Contributor

No, Yury has a very good point based on the ALUA architecture of your storage. Have a closer look, his diagram has difference from what you posted in the first message.

No, I don't think that changing the switches should have any influence on the connectivity. Another question is why we would discuss connection of IBM disk arrays to the Cisco switches on the Brocade forum? Smiley Wink
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alexey,

The difference I can see is that p0 port on two different storage should go to two different switches. Am I right this time?if not please help me to point out. Thanks!

The reason I am thinking to try the other one is due to EOSL. Sorry!
Valued Contributor

Nope, the diagram shows you a _single_ disk array connected to two FC switches. Another disk array will be connected the same way. I understand that it's not shown for simplicity.
Occasional Contributor

My diagram shows only one array with two controllers. Two ports in each controller. The first port from let's say CONTROLLER1 goes to Fabric1 and the second port from the CONTROLLER1 goes to Fabric2. Then we repeat this for the CONTROLLER2. Finaly we have 4 connections from EACH storage. Currently you have 2.  

Occasional Contributor

need your help on SAN connections

To connect 2 x 6510 switches, and two storage array's, let's say they are Netapp filers. I have two ways as shown in diagrams as attached. I have following two questions, 

1. With diag1, if there is only connection from the array to the switch, then if it got failed, will this be the a single point failure? Should data be continually routed to another switch(fabric)?

2. If yes, it was a single point failure on above, since "diag2" have two connections, it should be preventing the single point failure.
If zoning all two connections in the same fabric together along with switch ports to hosts, should one connection failed, will the data be automatically switched to the second connection?

I am looking for your help, as this will help be a lot.

Thank you very much in advance!

External Moderator

Re: need your help on SAN connections

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.