Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

HP c7000 connectivity

Greetings this is my first post. We have a pair of Brocade 5100 in our SAN (EMC2 VNX5500) and two HP BladeSystem c7000. We need connect the server bays to the SAN for using LUNs. Both c7000 has a pair of switches MDS 9000 series for SAN connectivity. Do we need apply any license for the Brocade switches for do this connection? I have read about a ISL trunking license, i don't know if it is necessary.

Thank's for help.

Valued Contributor

Re: HP c7000 connectivity

It would be easier, for me at least, if you had VC modules or embedded Brocade switches.

Now the easiest solution would be to run those Cisco switches in the equivalent of Brocade's Access Gateway mode.

Otherwise run them in interop mode. Unfortunatly I have no Cisco knowledge and can't help you on that part.

ISL trunking has noting to do with interoperability, but enables you to trunk ISL's between switches.

External Moderator

--->>> We have a pair of Brocade 5100....

--->>> Otherwise run them in interop mode.

dion,

keep in mind if FOS 7.x is installed on 8G Plattforms, Interop-Mode is not longer available.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

I was actually refering to the Cisco switches but must admit that

1) i don't know if they (Cisco) have that ability and

2)Could have written that more clearly.

Regular Contributor

With 5100 (and if you want to get to FabricOS 7) in effect this means that interop mode is not an option?

VC might be nice but it might also cause some headache.

Meaning Cisco's equivalent of Brocade's Access Gateway (AG) is the only option unless you want to stay below FOS 7 or have the MDS switches in 'switch mode' and then put the Brocade switches in AG mode.

Cisco's equivalent is called N Port Virtualization

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5989/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00808a0bce.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps4159/ps6409/ps5989/ps9898/white_paper_c11-459263.html

Has some details about how the setup and the concept.

They also mentions some possibility of trunking but if this is possible together with a Brocade switch I do not know.

Message was edited by: Guldmyr

New Contributor

Thanks for the prompt replies. This is firmware version:

SW-UP: admin> firmwareshow
Appl Primary / Secondary Versions
------------------------------------------
FOS   v6.3.1a
          v6.3.1a

External Moderator

the simple way to Build a Fabric is to set AG and NPIV as mentioned by dion, however from my poinyt of view not make sense to use 5100 for a small fabric as AG, this is my opinion.

--->>>I have read about a ISL trunking....

you cannot create E_Port / ISL Interoperability to Cisco because Brocade not supported this, and Brocade not support any other OEM that support Cisco Interoperability

Whit other word, Trunking consist of a Bundled more ISL Port, and in such case is not supported.

Another option is to sell this Cisco Blade Switch on ebay, and purchase a new Brocade.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi all! The problem was solved. I followed the steps in the links posted by Guldmyr and the connection was successful.

Thank you all for your help, it's nice to have people like you.

Regular Contributor

hi, thanks for reporting back!

did you use any trunking?

New Contributor

I just activated the NPV mode in cisco mds and established the NP port mode (trunk enabled) and then I could see the bladeservers in the Brocade's switchExplorer I'm thinking of doing NPV port channel between mds and brocades switches.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.