Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

HP Virtual Connect (Access Gateways) Segmented

All of our HP chassis show as segmented within the fabric. These are using HP Virtual Connect and all show up as "unreachable" Access Gateways.

They have been in place long before I arrived at the company. The virtual environment is in use heavily and has many, many guests defined to the clusters which are connected to an EMC VMAX array over a DCX 8510-8B.

Should I care that they show as segmented? Is there a way to fix that?

Valued Contributor

Re: HP Virtual Connect (Access Gateways) Segmented

Hi,

That does not mean that the HP Virtual Connect is segmented in the fabric, it is just unmanageable via DCFM.

I use CMDCE (the EMC OEM version of DCFM) and in its release notes, it states the following about HP Virtual Connect:

HP Virtual Connect Module

There is no active management support for HP Virtual Connect Modules by CMDCE.

So I suppose, that this management software can detect the presence of the HP VC but is not able to manage it.

Kind regards,

Felipe

Contributor

This actually depends on the version of Virtual Connect. HP has Qlogic (Virtual Connect) and Brocade (Virtual Connect 2) versions of VC. The VC2 products can be discovered with DCFM / BNA / CMCNE. You would have to manually discover them and enter their passwords into the Discovery dialog.

External Moderator

felipon and jdaignea,

lance.m.pearson open the Thread with main question "Segmented"

maybe I'm a bit Stupid,now I want to ask what have DCFM, BNA or all other available Management Software with a "Segmented" Issue ?

Second, there are diverse VC Blade available from HP, some like the 5480 Support AG, some other not.

Lance,

can you specified please more accurate the exact Blade Type/Model ?

thanks

antonio

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Hi ,

The thread was open with the title "segmented", but if you read it, it has nothing to do with segmentation (specially being configured as Access Gateway). The issue is related to the manageability of a HP VC via DCFM.

Rgds

External Moderator

--->>>but if you read it

i read the entire Post, and cannot find any word about DCFM , BNA or whatever.

All of our HP chassis show as segmented within the fabric. These are using HP Virtual Connect and all show up as "unreachable" Access Gateways.

They have been in place long before I arrived at the company. The virtual environment is in use heavily and has many, many guests defined to the clusters which are connected to an EMC VMAX array over a DCX 8510-8B.

Should I care that they show as segmented? Is there a way to fix that?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

We have two different DCX/Blade models in our infrastructure. In one fabric we have two DCX8510_8Bs with 8Gb optics.

The other fabric has two DCX8510_8bs with 16Gb optics.

Both fabrics show all HP Virtual Connect Access Gateways as "segmented" within CMCNE.

Contributor

Lance

Please determine the exact Virtual Connect module installed in your C Class enclosures. HP has Virtual Connect modules manufactured by both Brocade and Qlogic. If you have the Brocade VC module in Access Gateway or switch mode this can be managed by CMCNE (BNA 11.x). If you have the Qlogic module this cannnot be managed by CMCNE.

Occasional Contributor

I believe the VC modules are actually HP models......"HP VC 8Gb 24-Port FC Module" is what I see within VCM.

Edited to add HP part number: 466482-B21

Contributor

Please login to one of the directors and provide the output from the following command: agshow

This will display all of the Access Gateway (Brocade VC's) connected to the network.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.