Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Firmwareupgrade from v5.2.2 to v5.3.0d does not "HA reboot"

I attempted executing the firmwareupgrade command to upgrade a Brocade 4900 from FOS v5.2.2 to v5.3.0d. The software gets downloaded fine to the switch but the switch never does an HA reboot. It displays the message "HA Rebooting" but does not do the HA reboot. I have executed firmwareshow and it displays:

Primary version:n v5.2.2

Secondary version: v5.3.0d

How do I get this Brocade 4900 to HA reboot so that v5.3.0d becomes active and v5.3.0d is committed to both partitions? I don't want to execute a reboot or fastreboot command as this switch is active and passing frames on the SAN.

Thanks.

External Moderator

Re: Firmwareupgrade from v5.2.2 to v5.3.0d does not "HA reboot"

siseminger,

call the command "hashow" and "haenable"

The output is the answer to your question.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Executing hashow and haenable returns "Not supported on this platform". I understand that these commands are not supported on the 4900. These commands would be available on the 12000, 24000, and 48000.

Normally, when executing a fimrwareupgrade, you can do this as a ""hot code load". In this particular instance, and this is the only time this has happened to me, after the code is loaded the switch does not activate the new FOS because the processor has not done the equivalent of an hareboot.

External Moderator

Hi Scott,

absolutely correct, exactly that what I want to say.

Your spoken here from HA, and HA is only Supported on CP Based Switches also 12K, 24K, 48K and the DCX.

I assume you have downoload the new 5.3 FOS with the command "firmwaredownload" and option "-n"

-n dont commit the FOS on both Partition.

Two way to solve the problem

1) but dont workin your case, is "firmwarecommit", this command commit the both Partition Primary and Secondary, but the Active Partition commit the standby.

2) and the the best way, execute again the firmwaredownload without any aption, so that the both partition will be commited.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I did not use the "-n" option with the initial firmwaredownload command and I have repeated the command twice with the same results. I was hoping that there might be a command, maybe as root, that would allow the hareboot.

External Moderator

very mistery.

log as admin, call the command "savecore" and "savecore -l"

what is the exact output ? is here a dump file ?

log as root, and execute /bin/df

what of % in use are /dev/root and /dev/hda2 ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I have attached a file with the output.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.