Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A

Fiber Switch Ports Revert to Disabled When the Servers are Rebooted

I have 7 HP DL380 G8 servers connected to 4 HP P2000 G3 SANs via 3 HP/Brocade 8/24 port switches.  All servers have HP/Brocade 8GB 815 HBAs and the SANs also have HP/Brocade HBAs.

The ports in the switches can be set to Permanently Enable but only respond as Enabled.  If any server is rebooted, the ports for that server go Disabled and have to be manually Re-Permanently Enabled, each time.

The servers are all running VM Ware HP specific ESXi 5.1 and are fully patch updated.

When the servers are up and running, all is great but the need to manually enable the ports anytime the servers are rebooted. is a pain.

I know the Brocade documentation indicates that Permanent Enable is only available for MS Windows, but REALLY...

It may only be an inconvenience, but has anyone out there seen this and a way to resolve it?

Thanks

External Moderator

Re: Fiber Switch Ports Revert to Disabled When the Servers are Rebooted

you should verify as first if the correct HBA Driver are loaded, additional set the speed as Fixed on both side Switch Port and HBA.

-->> I know the Brocade documentation indicates that Permanent Enable is only available for MS Windows,...

if you refer with "Permanent Enable" to command portcfgpersistentenable, this is a FOS based features, no matter if the Host OS is Microsoft, Linux or whatever, and have no implication to Host OS.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Re: Fiber Switch Ports Revert to Disabled When the Servers are Rebooted

Hi there,

Please check with command portcfgshow if feature Port auto disable is active on those ports. If so, disable it with command portcfgautodisable.

Rgds,

Felipon

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.