Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Faulty switch port causes marginal switch status

We have a Brocade 48K director with 48-port blades.   One of the ports on a blade stopped working and it changed the switch status to down and then marginal. We tried a new SFP but that didn't fix it.   Is there any way to get the marginal status of the switch back to healthy before changing out the entire blade?   FABOS is 6.3.2.   Thanks

External Moderator

Re: Faulty switch port causes marginal switch status

Theoretically......YES.

but not make sense to set/remove Marginal Status.

if you want to do that, use the command "switchstatuspolicyset" and set the Feature"blade" from "default" "1 to 0"

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Ok what isn't fixed?

Is that port still inoperative or

Is that port back online but the message won't disappear?

So far in my environment if a host boots, I'll get an message.

If an SFP dies I'll get an message.

Either way replacing the SFP (or the host coming back online) should see the healtstatus switch back to healty afaik.

Contributor

The port is inoperative and a new SFP did not fix it.  I didn't think it would put the entire 48K into marginal status for 1 bad out of 384 total ports.

Contributor

Thanks.

External Moderator

DMD127,

keep in mind, the value should be set in Default Mode now, after the Blade is replaced.

TechHelp24
Contributor

We had another switch port faulted in our 48K -- problem caused by HP server hba which created millions of errors on the port.  The entire 48K is now in error state and the faulty ports monitor is down.  Everything else on the switch is ok -- just two faulted ports on the same blade.

Support is telling me we have to pull the blade out -- power cycle -- to fix the status of the switch. Unbelievable.  I would think on a director class switch, there would be an easier way to fix the status of the switch caused by a faulty hba.   Anyone have an idea?  Thanks

Contributor

We found the solution to this problem -- entering the following commands clears the fault status on the ports and returns the 48K to health status:

portcfgpersistentdisable slot/port

portcfgpersistentenable slot/port

Valued Contributor

As TechHelp24 posted, if you don't want the switch to go to Marginal/Down status for a SFP failure, you can modify this by running command switchstatuspolicyset and setting up the status policy at the level you prefer.
with switchStatusShow you can see the current of the switch, and with switchStatusPolicyShow the current applied status policy.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.