Fibre Channel (SAN)

dj1
Contributor

Fabric segments when connecting new switch.

Hi All,

I am trying to add a new switch to our fabric (A)but when I connect the ISL the fabric merges and all looks good for about 10 or 15 mins then it segments.

I have set uniquw DID's.

I have already successfully added a switch to the other fabric (B) with no issues.

Our configuration is as follow:

Two fabrics A and B both consisting of two HP Bseries 4/64 switches running FOS v6.4.1.b.

I want to add two new HP B-Series 8/24  switches, both running FOS v6.4.1b.

Fabric B merged OK and is operating normally.

Fabric A segments after a short while.

I have set unique DID's on all switches.

I have replaced the cable and SFP on both switches (Fabric A), I have also tried a different port on both switches.

Call is currently open with HP who want to charge to resolve as they say there is no HW issue with switches.

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

D

Regular Contributor

Re: Fabric segments when connecting new switch.

Hi -

could you provide us switchshow and defzone --show on segmented (new) switch please ?

Kind regards,

--

david

dj1
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply,

Attached is the switchshow, although this was taken after I disabled the ISL port. When the fabric segmented the backups failed.

How do I run the defzone show cmd?

Thanks again.

D

Regular Contributor

switchshow and defzone --show are cli commands.

I found them in supportshow ... Are you connecting on port 23 ? If yes enable it and provide switchshow output

23  23   700000   id    4G   In_Sync     FC  Disabled

It seems you have a zoning configuration defined on your new switch. You have to clear it before being able to merge in an existing fabric.

use cfgclear / cfgsave under cli

Kind regards,

--

david

dj1
Contributor

Hi,

This is a new switch, it had no config until I connected the ISL. When I done this the fabric seemed to merge ok and the zoning info was copied over. Then after about 10 or 15 mins it segmented. It then merged again a bit later and then segmented again.

I have cleared the config and changed the DID again just incase there was something in the config of the other switch with that ID, but it still segmented.

D

Regular Contributor

before anything you should consider replacing cable on port 23. Porterrshow reports numerous errors

23:  891.8k   4.2k   1.1k 133     41      3      0     93    860.0m  13      7    148    297      0      0

errdump too :

2011/08/18-16:16:39, , 456, FID 128, WARNING, KHFSWR-02, Unstable link detected during merge at port (23).

That may explain everything.

Solve cable issue, clear zoning config again and enable port 23.

Kind regards,

--

david

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.