Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Fabric Watch fails to send emails

Hi All,

I am trying to configure FabricWatch on my 4900 switches and 48000 directors, however it fails to send emails completely.

All switches/directors are running FabOS 5.3.0.d and I have the correct licenses installed, but I cannot find where to enter the SMTP server to be used for handling the emailing.

EMC suggested adding the mailservers IP address and name in the DNS configuration (Which does not make sense to me), like:

Domain Name Server Configuration Information

Domain Name = mas03.infra.local

Name Server IP Address = 10.5.102.18

Name Server IP Address = 10.5.102.18

(Where MAS03 is the server and 10.5.102.18 is its IP address)

I have an alert setup (my email address configured, alert enabled) and when I send a test-email it says:

EMAIL HAS BEEN QUEUED!

Unfortunately the email never arrives, no matter what configuration I try...

I have tried configuring it with our actual DNS servers and all possible combinations, but to no avail

Has anybody got this working (on 5.3.0d) or is this a known bug or something?

If anybody got this working I'd love if you could share (screenshots?) of what I need to configure...

Thanks in advance!

Fred

External Moderator

Re: Fabric Watch fails to send emails

Fredster,

the Problem is the DNS, you must use the mailserver DNS Addres.

--->>> EMC suggested adding the mailservers IP address and name in the DNS configuration....

this is correct.

..... ( Which does not make sense to me )

it is another story!

But this is the correct way to configure the Mail Alert.

However this question as Posted here several times, for example see follow threads

http://community.brocade.com/home/message/4627

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi TechHelp24,

First of all, thanks for your answer, but it still doesn't work

I had seen that post you linked in your answer, but I can't imagine it should be needed (or condoned) to change the SENDMAIL.CF file for the switch by logging in as ROOT user...

I have tried all kinds of combinations like:

Domain Name = mas03.infra.local (Where MAS03 is our (SMTP) mailserver, and INFRA.LOCAL the domain)

Name Server IP Address = 10.5.102.18 (The IP of MAS03)

Name Server IP Address = 10.5.102.18 (The IP of MAS03 again)

but also:

Domain Name = mas03.infra.local (Where MAS03 iser the mailserver, and INFRA.LOCAL the domain)

Name Server IP Address = 10.5.102.11 (Our primary DNS server)

Name Server IP Address = 10.5.102.12 (Our secondary DNS server)

Neither has the desired effect however :_|

I've checked our DNS server for the INFRA.LOCAL domain, and there is no MX record for our MAS03 mailserver (Exchange). Does the fiberswitch query the DNS for an MX record in order to send mail out?

I don't get why this is so difficult to get working on this switch: We have a lot of equipment where I just have the configure an SMTP server and it is able to mail errors/reports out (Like our Clariion arrays)...

What am I still missing ?Smiley Indifferent

Fred

External Moderator

Hi Fred,

can you please test whit a Public ( what is you Location/Country ??? ) DNS Address ?

please Test this as follow:

--->>> Name Server IP Address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ( Any Public DNS server) Primary

--->>> Name Server IP Address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (The Router IP Address ) Secondary

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi TechHelp24

Unfortunately it is not possible for me to use an external DNS server, which makes everything a bit harder

Any other suggestion?

Fred

External Moderator

Fred,

but you can test with you Internal Router/Gateway IP

If the Router/Gateway obtain automatically a DNS Address ( or the DNS is in the Router/Gateway Configure ) this must work.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.