Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Fabric Watch SMTP Server settings

Recently my company stopped receiving email notification from fabric watch. This happened on all 6 of my 48000 directors at the same time. I am assuming that it was a change by the exchange guys to the SMTP server that I was using in the past, but I can't seem to figure out how fabric watch or the FOS determines the smtp server to send mail through. If I can figure out what it is trying to send through, and then how to change it, I think I can fix my problem. Anyone have any ideas? By the way, I am running 5.1.0d.

External Moderator

Re: Fabric Watch SMTP Server settings

Hi chackosavil,For exact details, refer the Command Reference Manual.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi, yea, that's the odd thing. When I go into fwmailcfg, the only things I can set are whether or not I can enable email alert, and if so the recipient email address. I haven't been able to figure out how to set the smtp server to relay through.-Savil

External Moderator

Savil,I think the problem is solved.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

I forgot.........you can login to the switch trough telnet and use the command "dnsconfig" to set the correct DNS and Domain.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

I'm having similar problems and if anyone really understands how SMTP mail from the switch works, please explain in more detail. It's not at all obvious how just identifying the DNS servers and domain name specifies an SMTP server. I can think of two possibilities:

1. The switch tries to get all the MX records from the DNS server for the zone that contains the domain and uses them to find an SMTP server.

2. SMTP server functionality is included in the switch firmware and it sends mail directly with the domain name suffix appended.

I tried asking our vendor (hp support) but they don't know how it works either. I think Brocade has made some undocumented assumption about how DNS is setup that our site isn't meeting (such as no DNS zone dump access restrictions or reverse address lookups are populated or that the switch domain name and email domain names are the same). If you really understand how switch mail actually works, please reply.

Occasional Contributor

Hey,

Had the same issue, found a workaround.

Actually, what's running on FOS is a standard sendmail, so you just need to change the sendmail.cf file (near line 87) from :

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)

#DSmailhost$?m.$m$.

to

DSwhatever_host_fully_qualified_domain_name

Where whatever_host_fully_qualified_domain_name is the host that can be resolved and can send emails.

Regards

Olivier

New Contributor

Olivier,

Thanks much for the information but can you explain how to access and modify the FOS sendmail.cf file? I'm unaware of any FOS CLI comands to list, edit or replace FOS files and it is not included in the config file sent by a configUpload.

Tom

Occasional Contributor

Hey Tom,

per your pm, and to let the community be aware ;

If you can not fto into toe box, you can ftp fom the box.

cd to /etc/mail

ftp to whatever host you can

Put the sendmail.cf file

Now, from this host, make a copy of the original sendmail.cf

Change the originabl file as explained previously

Log on again to the switch

cd to /etc/mail

ftp to your host

move (mv) the original sendmail.cf to an other name

get the sendmail.cf file

It works

Wish I was clear,

Olivier

New Contributor

Olivier,

That worked. Thank you very much for the tip.

Also, for anyone else's information, here is a command that is useful for debuging switch email problems (use from root):

echo "test" | sendmail -v your.email@yourdomain

Tom

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.