Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Fabric OS upgrade procedures and precautions

Hi, 

Can anyone please help me with the upgrae procedures on Brocade(IBM 2109) 48000 FOS upgrade. We are currently running v6.1.1a and wanted to upgrade to the latest(believe) v6.4.3.c. We have two switches for redundancy. So My questions are

• How do we approach the upgrade 6.1-->6.2-->6.3-->6.4
  • We manage the switches via DCFM which is running 10.1.4 does this needs to be upgraded ? any benefits by upgrading DCFM
  • How much estimated/approx time will it take for each upgrade listed above ?
  • Any special precautions that need to be taken after the upgrade

Sorry to ask many questions, but we do not have much experience in upgrading the switches and wanted to be absolutely sure.

Regards

K

Frequent Contributor

Re: Fabric OS upgrade procedures and precautions

I would suggest to start with the release notes for 6.4.3.c ( if any).

Super Contributor

Greetings krishna.vishwakarma.  In addition to SKT's recommendation, I would also recommend reviewing the "Brocade FOS Target Path" document which outlines Brocade's recommended FOS versions.  You can find it here:

Also, the firmware upgrade procedure is covered here:  http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FOS_AG_710/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=firmware.15.02.html

And firmware upgrade info on a backbone:  http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FOS_AG_710/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=firmware.15.05.html

Hope that helps. 

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
New Contributor

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the links and information. However from the relaease notes I'm not sure if my current version of DCFM will support FOS 6.4 . Is there any information on compatibility matrix for DCFM and Fabric OS .

Thanks in advance

Regards

K

New Contributor

Hello SKT,

Thanks for the information

Super Contributor

Hi Krishna.vishwakarma.  You are correct.  Your current installed version of DCFM does not support FOS 6.4.  You would need to upgrade to a more current version.  I checked the releases notes for v10.4.5a (which was the last release) and that does support v6.4.x.  I've attached the release notes for your review.

Regards,

Mike Eversole
New Contributor

Hello Mike,

One more question . We have two switches that needs to be upgraded. So trying to analyze the best approach path to minimize any impact.

Option A ) Do one switch at a time : Say switch A from 6.1-->6.2-->6.3-->6.4 on one day and do the Switch B on a different Day

Option B ) Do both switches on the same day but only one version at a time : Switch A 6.1-->6.2 and Switch B 6.1-->6.2 and later on a different days do 6.2 to 6.3

Thanks in advance

K

Super Contributor

Hello krishna.vishwakarma.  I'd recommend option "B".  FOS versions tend to play better with each other when the versions are closer together. 

Regards,

Mike Eversole

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.