Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Fabric Merge Questions

Hi all,

We are going to merge 2 seperate fabrics (Fabric A and B) to one single fabric. Fabric B will be disabled and merged to A. I would like to know which merging scenario is better?

1. Disable active zoning config of B, delete all the zoning configs existing in B. Load the new zoning config in Fabric A, then merge B to A.

2. Load and enable the new zoning config in both fabric A and B. Disable zoning config of B, Merge the B to A.

Fabric A: DS5000B, DS4100B, DS5100B, DS4016 Blade switch  --  4016 firmware is 6.2.2b, others are 6.1.2b

Fabric B: 2 x DS300B, DS4016 Blade switch  --  all firmware are 6.1.0c, will upgrade to 6.1.2b before merge. Domain ID will be changed accordingly.

Also, I would like to know :

1. How to pre-load the zoning config in the fabric? use GUI/CLI ? As there is a lot of zones, it will take a long time to create the new zones.

2. As I know the fabric will search the principal switch by the lowest WWN by default. So, will there be any impact if the principal switch in Fabric A change to another switch after the merge? As Fabric A will be non stop during the merge, does it necessary to force the existing principal switch in Fabric A to be a principal permanently by CLI to make sure it is still the principal after the merge?

Regards,

Terrence

External Moderator

Re: Fabric Merge Questions

Is all a bit confused....

--->>> 1. Disable active zoning config of B, delete all the zoning configs existing in B.

--->>> Load the new zoning config in Fabric A, then merge B to A.

If you delete all zoning in B, then you cannot merge B to A, because B don't longer contain any Zoning./ config

In this case you Migrate from A to B

--->>>2. Load and enable the new zoning config in both fabric A and B. Disable zoning config of B, Merge the B to A.

You say:

--->>>We are going to merge 2 seperate fabrics (Fabric A and B) to one single fabric.

here is some confused.

At this point is this Step not necessary. If you want to buld from a DUAL Fabric a SINGLE one, is not necesssary to

......"Load and enable the new zoning config in both fabric A and B"

Another question, why are you on Different FOS Release ?

TechHelp24
New Contributor

May be clarified a bit more. I referenced the attached zone merge scenarios from the FOS manual.

Case 1. I want to clear all the zones in fabric B to get a clean merge. Then when merge, the new zone config in A should be propagated to all switches.

Case 2. I want the two fabrics running the same zone config before the merge. So, when the two fabric merge there should be no change in the config and no impact at all. Doesn't it need to disable the active zoning config in fabric B before the merge?

All switches in Fabric B will be upgraded to the same as A before the merge.

Or could you advise a more appropriate procedure?

Regards,

Terrence

External Moderator

--->>>...before merge. Domain ID will be changed accordingly.

since you have as fair I understand correct from you native Post, same DID between both active fabric, and different cfg, with some knowledge is possible to Migrate manually both Fabric but this is a bit complex.

my best praxis is, before your clean Fabric B, you have to create all the Alias and Zoning from a fabric you want to remove/delete in this case B into Fabric A

--->>>Case 2. I want the two fabrics running the same zone config before the merge.

You cannot merge TWO Active Fabric with same zone/config,

On a single Fabric can only running a Activated a Single config Istance.

So, when the two fabric merge there should be no change in the config and no impact at all. Doesn't it need to disable the active zoning config in fabric B before the merge?

then you need just to add ISL all the Clean Switches from remain B Fabric to the A FABRIC, the config will be migrated automatically.

Another Imput, create from Both Fabric with SAN Healt a report from both Fabric and Upload here, that semplified this Thread.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi TechHelp 24,

Thanks a lot. Attached are the two SAN Heath report.

Also, how do I pre-load the new zone config in the fabric? And is there necessary to force the existing principal switch in A to be principal?

Regards,

Terrence

External Moderator

--->>>And is there necessary to force the existing principal switch in A to be principal?

you can do that before add Switch from B fabric to A, but is not necessary and not have any impact.

--->>>Also, how do I pre-load the new zone config in the fabric?

you have just to add all needed Alias  ( and Zoning if you want to have differente Zone ) from current available B fabric into the A Fabric / config.

In Faric B are just a couple of Port for a Total of 40 in use, the fast way as mentioned is to create all this in A Fabric, I would not get a risk to import mismatch a config from B to A

BTW; i've noted FABRIC B,  SW 4016 have DID 101, what is the reason ?

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.

I want to pre-load the zone config is because the user wants to change all the port zone of B fabric to wwn zone during the merge. This will be a bit troublesome and takes time to create the zone, and the downtime is limited.

And I have no idea why the user set the DID of 4016 to 101 before.

Regards,

Terrence

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.