Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

FCR Setup

Hi all,

Attached is the topology for the FCR setup. There are 2 SAN switches, Brocade 320 series and two Brocade 7800 series which interconnects both sites via FCIP. Both Brocade 320 switches have been configured with the respective LSAN_1 and LSAN_2 and different fabric IDs as shown. Question is :

i) Is Server 2 able to communicate with the Storage array on the remote site? From the diagram, I believe that Server 1 is able to communicate with the Storage array, correct me if I am wrong.

ii) Does the brocade 7800 series router auto detects any LSAN configurations on both sides of the SAN switches? From my understanding, the router will compare both LSAN and will see which WWN that matches and allow them to communicate?

I would like to know more about how both devices are able to communicate although they reside in different fabric. The brocade documentation doesn't explain well or give any examples/scenarios, they just mentioned more on the theory rather than practical, thanks..

Regular Contributor

Re: FCR Setup

Hi Daniel,

first thing to do is to define same LSAN zones (same name, same members) in both edge fabrics.

Then have a look on backbone fabric (routers) at lsanzoneshow -s and see if LSAN zone members exists and are imported in both fabric IDs (= edge fabric).

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

--

david

Contributor

Hi David,

Thanks for the valuable information. Therefore, I would conclude that we need to define exactly the same LSAN names and WWNs on both edge fabric (SAN switches) in order for them to communicate with the help of the SAN router. Do we need to configure anything on the SAN router besides configuring EX port that connects to the SAN switches? Does FCIP connectivity as shown in first email thread will cause any communication issues between different fabrics? Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Right, the only thing you have to configure on routers is EX-ports.

>> Does FCIP connectivity as shown in first email thread will cause any communication issues between different fabrics?

Not sure to understand your question. As soon as you have configured EX-ports on both side, you have 3 distincts fabrics, 2 edges and one backbone. FCIP issues won't impact communication inside edge fabrics.

Finally, FCIP and LSAN zones are quite easy to configure and use

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

--

david

Contributor

Thanks david for the valuable information.

Contributor

One thing to keep in mind when you setup the EX_Ports make sure that you setup different Domain and Fabric ID's than what you have on the SAN switches.

This way you present a phantom fabric to the local SAN switches and does not merge your fabrics over the extended distance.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.