Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

FCIP setup on Logical Switches

Hello All!

I am trying to set up FCIP between my two 7800 switches. Because I need to keep my two fabrics separate that are on each side, I have enabled virtual fabrics on both 7800s and created two logical switches on each - one for fab A, one for fab B.

For Fab A, I created switch 101. It contains

FC ports 0,1

ge0

VE port 16

For Fab B, I created switch 102. It contains

FC ports 2,3

ge1

VE port 17

I only have the basic license that comes with the 7800.  I am running FOS version 7.4.1e.

I am trying to do this in CMCNE/BNA, as well as command line.

I have assigned IPs and routes.

I can ping and traceroute successfully.

If I do this just through BNA, going through the menu selection to Configure > FCIP Tunnels, when I try to add a circuit to my tunnel after selecting switch one and switch two, I get the error message "The maximum number of circuits (0) has been reached for this tunnel."  Since a tunnel requires a circuit, that is not right. No circuit displays to edit, it is just blank.  Can't add anything.

If I create a tunnel through command line, I get a default circuit, but when I go to edit the circuit and click on "Verify IP Connectivity" I get the error message that "FCIP Trunking requires the installation of the Advanced Extension (FTR_AE) license on your switch. Contact your preferred storage vendor for more details."  The thing is, no license is required because I'm not trying to trunk. I am trying to create one tunnel with one circuit (the default one). Support has verified no license is required.

However I try to create the tunnel/circuit, the remote side never sees it.  I can list the tunnel and circuit on the local side and see details, but if I list on the remote side, there is nothing configured.

I have successfully created a tunnel/circuit between physical switches (even these two physical 7800s), but given my limited hardware, need to use virtual fabrics this time around. We have another set of 7800s connecting different sites that is working just fine, and was super easy to set up.

I've been told by multiple support and account team folks that what I'm doing is supposed to work and is allowed, but it is not working so well for me.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you,

Annette

External Moderator

Re: FCIP setup on Logical Switches

@Annette

just a stupid question, are you sure that on the other site end, the 7800 is reachable ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Not a stupid question. I'm hoping it is something silly that I missed!
I can ping the IPs assigned to the ge ports, the gateway, and at least one other IP from each direction so I know both sides are on the network and reachable.
External Moderator

Annette,

did you have the same error as in this screen-shot ?

7800 FCIP Tunnel.jpg

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Yes, that is the error I get when I first create a tunnel via command line. I don't even get that far if I try to create it through BNA.
External Moderator

Annette,

you need the Advanced Extension License in order to configured FCIP, otherwise the Circuit cannot be created.

can you post here please the full output of "licenseshow"

Advanced Extension — This license enables two advanced extension features: FCIP Trunking and Adaptive Rate Limiting. The FCIP Trunking feature allows multiple IP source and destination address pairs (defined as FCIP Circuits) via multiple 1GbE or 10GbE interfaces to provide a high bandwidth FCIP tunnel and failover resiliency. In addition, each FCIP circuit supports four QoS classes (Class-F, High, Medium and Low Priority), each as a TCP connection. The Adaptive Rate Limiting feature provides a minimum bandwidth guarantee for each tunnel with full utilization of the available network bandwidth without impacting throughput performance under high traffic load. This license is available on the 7800, 7840, and the DCX/DCX-4S/DCX 8510-8/DCX 8510-4 for the FX8-24 on an individual slot basis.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I have not added any licenses to this switch - it is just the standard 4/2 license that comes with the purchase of a 7800.

I disagree that I should need the extension license for creating a single circuit on a single tunnel. If I were trunking or trying to do adaptive rate limiting, I agree that I would. If I were to set up a tunnel on the physical switch, it would work (it did work, I tried it), so I know that a single circuit on a single tunnel is allowed with the standard license. There are currently no other tunnels created on the switches. The challenge that I'm having is making the same thing that works on a physical switch work on a logical switch instead. All the documentation states that it works exactly the same, just that you have to move the ports into the LS, which I have done.

Personally, I think there is a bug somewhere, but I may be just saying that because I can't find a config issue.

-Annette 

External Moderator

Annette,

Q.Q.: I read again you initial post,

->I am trying to set up FCIP between my two 7800 switches. Because I need to keep my two fabrics separate that are on each side,

-> I have enabled virtual fabrics on both 7800s and created two logical switches on each - one for fab A, one for fab B.

....and create two logical switches on each.....

did you want to create two circuit in each one ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

No, I just want one circuit per tunnel - nothing more than the default that is supposed to create. I'm only looking to create the one tunnel per logical switch, as well.

My understanding of licensing is that I should not need anything additional since I'm creating only one tunnel/circuit per ge0 port (one per logical switch). That's what I got from support, as well, so I feel pretty confident stating that. But currently I have nothing created, so the first single tunnel/circuit definitely should not cause issues.

I realize this does not give any redunancy or failover protection, but I'm okay with that.

-Annette
External Moderator

--->>>I'm only looking to create the one tunnel per logical switch, as well.

in Summary:

you have:

1x 7800 with LS_1 and LS_2

now you want to create:

One Circuit on LS_1

and

One Circuit on LS_2

on the same 7800 Phisical Box with base license.

is this correct ?

If yes, I think such a config is not supported, and for this reason you get the error message:

--->>> "The maximum number of circuits (0) has been reached for this tunnel." 

another issue can be caused, - as per my opinion - you have create a tunnel in Base Switch and want to add another one in LS_x no matter if one or more LS are created,  for a simple reason you cannot assign the same License on both Port

I'll not insist, and is probable I'm wrong here, maybe can @Martin.Sjölin give answer here.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.