Fibre Channel (SAN)

FC direct attach (46M6050,BROCADE 8GB FC HBA DP) to FC Tape?

Hello Support Community;

I have a client who is trying to "Direct Attach" a Brocade/IBM FC Card (46M6050,BROCADE 8GB FC HBA DP ) to a 8GB FC Tape Unit.  IBM is saying the card is "not supported" for Direct Attach and to use a QLOGIC FC card.    

Doing quick Web/Head-check, I'm seeing that the card is likely supported but only at 4GB speeds.  Anyone have experience with this or recommendation?   We'd prefer to utilize this card. 

Thanks,

Mike..

External Moderator

Re: FC direct attach (46M6050,BROCADE 8GB FC HBA DP) to FC Tape?

accordly the IBM Part Number you post here 46M6050, this refer to Brocade HBA 8x2 Series

about you question, for direct access, I assume you mean FC-AL, is correct ?

--->>> IBM is saying the card is "not supported" for Direct Attach and to use a QLOGIC FC card.    

--->>> Doing quick Web/Head-check, I'm seeing that the card is likely supported but only at 4GB speeds.

ther eis no matter if the HBA is set at 4G or 8Gbits Speed.

here the asnwer, however you have to Upgarde the Bios/FW to Release 3.1.x or higher.

Port topology
Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop (FC-AL) topology enables you to attach multiple communication points in a loop without requiring switches. Fibre Channel ports capable of arbitrated loop communication are NL_port (node loop port) and FL_port (fabric loop port), collectively referred to as L_ports.
Note the following:
•All Brocade stand-up FC adapters support FC-AL. FC-AL is not supported on CNAs.
•FC-AL is supported on Windows, Linux, and VMware platforms only.
•FC speeds of 2 Gbps, 4 Gbps, and 8 Gbps are supported in loop mode. There is no support for FC-AL at 16 Gbps.
•You can set port topology in loop mode only if QoS, rate limiting, virtual port, and trunk are disabled.
•Auto-topology detection is not supported. Supported topology modes are point-to-point (p2p)

TechHelp24
External Moderator

[ Edited ]

--->>>IBM is saying the card is "not supported"...

can you please share me the entire IBM conversation  ? to abongiorno@techhelp24.net

otherwise, please forward this entire threads to IBM Support.

thanks

TechHelp24

Hello TechHelp,

The information is show in the ibm IBM System Storage Interoperation Center (SSIC) (Public Link)  http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/support/storage/ssic/interoperability.wss 

For Example when you shoose : 

1) Storage Family ---> IBM System Storage Entry Disk

2) Storage Model ---> Stowize V3700

3) Storage Version --> Stowize V3700 (7.1.x) 

4) Connection Protocol --> Fibre Channel

5) Host Platforme --> IBM System X

6)Operating System --> Vmware ESXi 5

7) when we shoose on adapter : brocade 825 we can have directe attachement 

When we Shoose the 46M6050 we need to shoose a SAN Switch

You can also dowload the whole compatibilité list on the link : Export Selected Storage Version (xls) 

on the XSL sheet go to the x FC worksheet and then for the Brocade 825 and 425 direct attachement is supported and not for the 46M6050. 

Any advice will be very appreciated,

Kind regards,

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.